5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

This SUCKS... bad!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 06:27 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Default This SUCKS... bad!

My car is an '86 with A/C and for the past two hours, I've been out in the garage removing the dash. Anyone who says this is easy can pound sand... there is nothing easy about it. I've never seen so many wire clips and plugs in my life. Anyway, I got it out... then I took the heater/ac box out and want to put a new heater core andevaporator back in. I took the top cover off and got the heater core out with no problem, but my Chilton says there are screws and tabs that have to be removed to seperate theupper and lowerhalves to get theevaporator out. Mine doesn't have any screws or tabs... it's just glued together and I have no idea how to get them apart. The red arrows in the pic below show where it is supposed to come apart. Anyone know what to do?
Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: This SUCKS... bad!

I don't know if the capri dash is anything like the 85-86 mustang dashes but I can loosen the heater box bolts up and remove the fan motor side box and glove box and slide my heater box partially over the hump and then I have just enough access to get the 4 screws on the top of the cover and remove it and then remove the heater core ..the whole process takes me about an hour and a half as far as removing the evapotator is what I think you mean...I took one out of a 85 gt but I can't remember how I got the it out...but I don't think I had to cut it out cause there were some clips I believe[&:]
Old 10-20-2007, 07:28 PM
ReefBlue93LX
1st Gear Member

On my 93, I cut the end of the box off and removed the heater core. Then I used dux seal to "glue" it back together. No problems at all. But I hope to never have to do it again.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:21 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: capri debris

My car is an '86 with A/C and for the past two hours, I've been out in the garage removing the dash. Anyone who says this is easy can pound sand... there is nothing easy about it. I've never seen so many wire clips and plugs in my life. Anyway, I got it out... then I took the heater/ac box out and want to put a new heater core andevaporator back in. I took the top cover off and got the heater core out with no problem, but my Chilton says there are screws and tabs that have to be removed to seperate theupper and lowerhalves to get theevaporator out. Mine doesn't have any screws or tabs... it's just glued together and I have no idea how to get them apart. The red arrows in the pic below show where it is supposed to come apart. Anyone know what to do?
Interesting. OK, you have dismantled and entire car, made major repairs that look incredible, and this dash is kicking your ***? I just can't believe it!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I have heard rumors that in order to get the evap out you have to bust that case open... I hope i just got some bad info though..

Good luck.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Cut it open and used Urethane to glue it back. Go to auto store and ask for 3m, it is windshield glue.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:56 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Pro50... you're right! I think it's kinda' funny that this little box has me "befuddled." [:@]My brother stopped by while I was fighting it and he basically busted my chops like you just did.The dash wasn't too hard, but this box... my GOD, THIS BOX!!! I have come to the conclusion that the factory drops the evaporator in and then seals it up andSCREW the poor guy who has to take it out. I have a solution, though... I'm going to cut the top or the front of the box open to get it out and then fabricate some tabs to re-install it. I just love that there are tons ofposts about changing a heater core on an A/C car, but no one bothers to mention that the evaporator is sealed inside! A heads-up would've been nice. Oh well, I'll eventually get it. Hell, maybe I should even do a write up about it. LOL.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:53 PM
djcondo
2nd Gear Member

do you know how much that weighs? just wondering.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:17 PM
blk40th
4th Gear Member

so do you have to remove the whole entire dash in order to change the heater core?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

djcondo: Including the box, blower motor heater core, evaporator and ducts... it weighs 25 pounds.

blk40th: Many say the whole dash has to come out, but some say you can get the box loose and drop it enough to change the heater core. I'm swapping dashes so mine was coming out anyway.

Quick Reply: This SUCKS... bad!