5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

a little help fuel pump replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

Default a little help fuel pump replacement

hey i got the general idea but my old lx already had one in it.and i want to replace my old one with a 255 walbro i have.for upcoming motor mods (new one)

just lookin for a little guidance or hints on what to do/or not to do, or any links to some

the search is being a biiiiiiaaaatch. thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 11:15 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a little help fuel pump replacement

What do you mean? Take the tank out and replace it. It's pretty straightforward. Maybe I missed the actual question.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:23 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i know take it out and blah blah i havent done one in a stang yet so i was lookin for a little help.no directions so i know about the tank but first i would think u would have to relief the pressure first ?right? then drop the tank , pull old one out,put new one in,then what about the wires my new walbro 255 has a plug in and 2 wires coming off do those wires stay in the tank?or do they?do i wrap them or something since there in the tank?

really just how to release pressure and wiring it up i guess is what im asking
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

its really easy just jack up ur rearend pretty high, put a jack underneath the tank to support/lower it, un bolt the fuel door and the 3 bolts around the pipe, un bolt the little bracket that holds the pipe in ur tank (1bolt) un bolt the straps holding the tank, lower it and disconnect the fuel lines (the clips can be a little tricky, and unplug the pump, then pull out the pump and install the new one then reverse. oh and depressureize the fuel system first. (the valve stem like thing on ur p/s fuel line in the engine bay). i think i got everything.. its pretty simple. having annother person to help you is a good idea too. and to make it a little easier syphon the gas out first.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:28 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

OH! haha. Sorry. Yeah it's really easy. The pressure can be released on the fuel line under the hood. It's just a little pressure valve stem and just relieve the pressure a little. Then lower the tank down, and unscrew the whole sending unit from the tank. Wiggle the whole thing out of the tank (kind of a b*tch) and then clip the wires and pull the old one out of the bracket. Put the new filter on the new pump, install it back into the bracket, and the pump should have come with two wire crimps. Just strip the wires and crimp them together. NO DO NOT TAPE IT! as gas will be splashing up on it, and gas and electrical tape don't mix. Just be sure to have no bare wire showing. Connect the one little rubber hose and reinstall. Simple.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:31 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

oh just to wire it just cut the old wires then strip them then just use the wire fastner things (one wire in each end and crimp) the kit comes with and they just sit in the tank.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Well I think we about covered all there is to cover huh nacanitihs?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:41 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

haha yup
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

so just cut the old wires off by the old pump, and then just butconnect them together and it sits in the tank still? so wrap it up with nothing i know not to use elec. tape , but what about like heat shrink tubing

it just seems weird having the wires just sitting in the gas tank

but thanks both of u for all the help i will be doing this tomorrow
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

I guess you could use heat shrink I never thought of that. But I have never used anything over the wires.

For more clearification, the wires have a plug or connector on the end which plugs into the pump, so you have to unplug it, then cut the wires, then crimp them together (one red and one black) and then plug the connector into the new pump.

Quick Reply: a little help fuel pump replacement