5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What cold air intake is smog legal???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 05:30 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What cold air intake is smog legal???

ORIGINAL: USMC1775

Yeah if they ask you to open the hood, you just have to say that you dont think they have probable cause and theyll leave you alone. Just make sure yours has a CARB #. A smog tech tried to hassle me in September for mine but I had a #.
then what will stop him from crawling underneath the car and seeing the stuff anyways. and if he sees somethign suspicious he then has probably cause. if he really wantsyou to pop the hood you will. it could be as simple as him just going i think your exhaust is to loud pop the hood i wanna take a look. GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO POP THE HOOD. they win get over it. if they want to see it then they will end of story. i laugh at how funny it would be to you guys who won't pop the hood then you end up watching your car get towed away on a flatbed while he writes you a 500 dollar ticket. HA HA HA HA HA idiots
Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: adumb

Yeah if they ask you to open the hood, you just have to say that you dont think they have probable cause and theyll leave you alone. Just make sure yours has a CARB #. A smog tech tried to hassle me in September for mine but I had a #.
then what will stop him from crawling underneath the car and seeing the stuff anyways. and if he sees somethign suspicious he then has probably cause. if he really wantsyou to pop the hood you will. it could be as simple as him just going i think your exhaust is to loud pop the hood i wanna take a look. GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO POP THE HOOD. they win get over it. if they want to see it then they will end of story. i laugh at how funny it would be to you guys who won't pop the hood then you end up watching your car get towed away on a flatbed while he writes you a 500 dollar ticket. HA HA HA HA HA idiots
Sounds like you have an opinion. Actually Ive been there.
Cop rolled up to me in a parking lot, said he thought my car sounded like it was "modded for speed" and wanted me to open the hood. Since I know many cops, and they have all told me to do the same thing, I told him its a sports car, and therefore it was built for speed. He didnt ask twice, he just said okay. I dont have anything to hide from him, seeing as all my **** is legal, but I wanted him to be put in his place because my police friends have told me that some guys are simply scaring people into tickets, making up **** to write tickets for.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:41 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like you have an opinion. Actually Ive been there.
Cop rolled up to me in a parking lot, said he thought my car sounded like it was "modded for speed" and wanted me to open the hood. Since I know many cops, and they have all told me to do the same thing, I told him its a sports car, and therefore it was built for speed. He didnt ask twice, he just said okay. I dont have anything to hide from him, seeing as all my **** is legal, but I wanted him to be put in his place because my police friends have told me that some guys are simply scaring people into tickets, making up **** to write tickets for.
you are missing my point. that cop obviously didn't want to see anything he was just being curious. my point is only this. if the cop wants to see under the hood he will simple as that. there are cops that ask questions all the time just to let you know they are on to you but have no intentions of doing anything about it. how many times have we all been pulled over and the cop asked what we were doing. we say speeding or whatever and he sometimes says slow it down and have a nice day. does that mean i "stuck it to the man" and i beat the cop in this situation, no. it actually means he was nice enough or to lazy and let me slide in this particular situation.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO POP THE HOOD.
i laugh at how funny it would be to you guys who won't pop the hood then you end up watching your car get towed away on a flatbed while he writes you a 500 dollar ticket. HA HA HA HA HA idiots
Thank you... couldn't have said it better myself.
That "get a warrant" crap won't fly... if they have probable cause you better comply, or your walking home, car will be impounded, sent to the referee, fines, etc.
Probable cause could be mufflers, stickers, guages, or pretty much anything.
Also, here in cali, they have roadside smog checkpoints. Its like a DUI checkpoint, but they check your car (they flag down certain cars as you drive by). They have a mobile dyno and a smog machine and several cops. Guess what... you ride better be all legal and they will check everything. (And they will pop your hood)
Although, they seem to mostly target rice...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:36 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

GUESS WHAT YOU HAVE TO POP THE HOOD.
i laugh at how funny it would be to you guys who won't pop the hood then you end up watching your car get towed away on a flatbed while he writes you a 500 dollar ticket. HA HA HA HA HA idiots
Thank you... couldn't have said it better myself.
That "get a warrant" crap won't fly... if they have probable cause you better comply, or your walking home, car will be impounded, sent to the referee, fines, etc.
Probable cause could be mufflers, stickers, guages, or pretty much anything.
Also, here in cali, they have roadside smog checkpoints. Its like a DUI checkpoint, but they check your car (they flag down certain cars as you drive by). They have a mobile dyno and a smog machine and several cops. Guess what... you ride better be all legal and they will check everything.(And they will pop your hood)
Although, they seem to mostly target rice...
I agree completely!!!

Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
moterhead
1st Gear Member

When making a post like this one, it would really help to post where you live.

The answer to your question could be 50 different things and all be right. Where I live in a suburb of Nashville, Tn, we have a mandatory emission inspection. For '96 and later vehicles, it's OBD and a gas cap check. Pre '96, it's a tailpipe sniffer test and a "tampering" inspection which is ONLY a mirror check for the presence of cats. So, there is no such thing as an illegal CAI. As long as you have cats and can pass the sniffer test, they don't really care what's under the hood. Obviously things are different in the Republic of Kalifornia.

As far as fronting a cop, as refusing to open your hood would be, you lose. They have guns, badges, handcuffls, radios to call wreckers and tow your caraway and cars with back doors that only open from the outside to take you away! Ever spent a night in jail? You DON'T want to!!! Best way to deal with acop is to be polite, respectful and do whatever they ask of you. Probable cause can be anything or nothing. It's just the cop's opinion at the time.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:41 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: moterhead

Best way to deal with acop is to be polite, respectful and do whatever they ask of you.
And as you are reaching for you license and registration,DO NOTmumble things like "I smell bacon"
Old 10-30-2007, 09:57 PM
robs87fox
2nd Gear Member

i live in cali and bought mine from mac, i don't see any # on it anywhere, i'm glad i kept the old one

Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
m_ross05
1st Gear Member

yea u can refuse to let a cop search your vehicle...i know a few guys who have gotten out of getting convicted for a dui here in a ohio, they refused to let a cop search their vehicle and refused to take a sobriety test or any kind of blood alcohol test since it is your right to do that,they still got charged though ...but only being charged isa lot smaller fine and less jail time than being convicted...anywayz they did not get in any more trouble for exercising their rights to not let the cop search their car...it acutally made the punishment a lot lesss...so.he may have charged u with having something that would not pass visual emmissions but probly not since its not that big of a deal like a dui...the laws may be diff in Cali though
Old 10-31-2007, 08:34 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: robs87fox

i live in cali and bought mine from mac, i don't see any # on it anywhere, i'm glad i kept the old one

I also live in Calif.

I don't believe you'll find a EO# stamped anywhere on the Mac unit, you'll need tocontact Mac to getthat #.
If you have the Mac fenderwell CAI part #3693 I have the EO # for that if your interested?

Quick Reply: What cold air intake is smog legal???