5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

T5 Swap has begun

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 10:54 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

Default T5 Swap has begun

Hey everyone...just finished up for the night on my car...and Im bored so i figured Id get on here n i just felt like tellin what i all got done so far. My n my buddy ...drives red trickflow topend kitted 95 gt..(95stang5.0) on here...well we started the swap on my car tonight..and to tell you the truth, we got a lot further than i figured we would. Started at about 5 oclock finised at 10...an 5 hours we ....got the exhaust off..without snappin any bolts which made me happy, got the shifter out, ate some pizza, drank some beer, and dropped the old aode. Right now all im waitin for is gotta hit up advanced tomorrow n pick up a rearmain since its leakin n while im there ...mightas well..and then tomorrow when i get outa class gonna start the pedals. Im hopin to be able to get the pedals switched over n maybe even start puttin tranny back in tomorrow night. I figure for two 18 year old guys, never been in a automotive class, were doin pretty good. Hopefully tomorrow will go as smooth as tonight. Well i just thought id post this up n see if anyone who has done the swap in a sn95, or anyone who has been thinking about it, its not that difficult, at least yet. Hopefully ill get some pics tomorrow...
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: T5 Swap has begun

Im going to be doing a T5 swap soon or in the spring (weather is a big factor) and Im still debating doing it myself or paying somebody to do it.
My car is a '92 but the swap should be pretty similar.

Putting the pedals, quadrant and cable in is what scares me.
I can bolt up a tranny without much trouble.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
adumb
3rd Gear Member

the pedal swap really isn't that hard. i had never done one before and i did it in if i remember right about 3 hours. definately could do it in2hrs no problems next time. wicked easy just time consuming. definately take the seat out when doing it. i did the pedals first cause i can drive it around like that still. i figure the tranny swap should only take 5 hours. my exhaust is new so that should come off no problem.

94 yellow50 take some pics while you are doing it on the more difficult things. i know you are sapost to trim the shifter tunny and was curious how it looked when done. hope all goes well with it.

does the auto and manual use the same driveshaft?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:58 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

well guys. i dont know if youll believe it..but its done...honestly..if we had a full day to work..we would have had it done in a day. Heres my conditions. I know a guy who has a heated shop(its like 40 or less right now where im at so this was nice)..best part is he has a pit in the shop. Me and my buddy(95stang5.0) on here...did the swap...i got all my stuff from a donor car that i found on here. guy in new york had another 94 an was parting it out...bought all the stuff. T5, bellhouseing, pedal assembly, driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, crossmember, umm the bezel in side, and all the little stuff, clutch cable and stuff... anyway only stuff i bought new was a new ford racing flywheel, and obviously fluid, and coolant,,idk if the coolant actually had to be drained..i dont really think so..but it needed it anyway n i was over the pit so it was pretty easy. anyway ....started wednesday after class got out. 5 oclock -10:15 that night..in which we got the aode(heavy as all hell), an the old shifter out. class again today(thursday)..got done n started it at 330...got done at 1130 ...both nights included about a half hour of eatin......i dont know if it was just a fluke situation..but my pedals...sooo easy..im not even lieing here..the old ones...basically with barely a wiggle..fell out...and the new ones..probably 10 minutes n they were in....all told findin all the tools and removing the plasic panel under the steering wheel took about a hour..and the seat stayed in teh whole time...and ya i had the camera out in my other car...and had planned to take pictures..and ya..lets just say i was pumped about doin this and kinda forgot..but if you have any questions let me know ill try my best to answer them
Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
95stang5.0
3rd Gear Member

Good work buddy It went pretty well! Couldnt have asked for it to be any easier. Mine in two weeks!!!!!