5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Which 5.0 to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 12:36 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Which 5.0 to buy?

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

ORIGINAL: GhostRider02GT

OK, so the sn95 weighs a little more. The fox has 4 lugs. This is going to be a full out drag car, so the fox has 1 point with the weight, I will swap the rear axle, probably for shortned 9in, which I can get any combination of brakes and lug pattern. Not so concerned with sound, since it will not be my DD, I still have my 02 for that. All in all, its looking like a fox, thanks guys, anything else?
Why a 9in? Sounds like extra money wasted when the 8.8 can be built to be jsut as bulletproof, and you can also get any lug pattern and axel size for the 8.8 as well. Unless you have a 9" laying around

Good choice on the Fox if it is going to be an all out drag car, they are obviously one of the best and rule the tracks around the country. But my SN should give a couple Fox's a run for their money when I'm done with it.
I am quite naive when it comes to fox bodies, does the 8.8 come stock on the 5.0 fox bodies? If so, I could definetly build that, I just did not know if they came with something weaker.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

Yep, the 87-93's have the 8.8 standard on all models excluding the 2.3L's.. And maybe the 85 and 86's as well. But the earlier Fox's and 2.3L alike have the 7.5" rear which are extremely weak.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

if you are going for an all out drag car I would go with the fox for sure
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 91hatchgt

Yep, the 87-93's have the 8.8 standard on all models excluding the 2.3L's.. And maybe the 85 and 86's as well. But the earlier Fox's and 2.3L alike have the 7.5" rear which are extremely weak.
'86-now V8s have the 8.8, '85 was the first year of roller cam, 86 was the first with EFI, along with (the only year of) flat top pistons and E6 heads, which are possibly the worst heads ever made...
Old 11-09-2007, 12:50 PM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

I would go with the Fox Body 5.0 it has more of a older cooler feel to it. Also, it comes in many variation like the hatchback LX & GT and also the notchback. If you go with a Fox Body I would go with a 87 or 88 because the horespower starts going down as they progressed toward the 93 which has 210HP I think. I don't realy care mcuh for the 94-98's. The 99-04's resemble the 94-98's difference is a huge improvement in and out and under the hood. But, it comes down to personal preference, choose what you like.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:55 PM
wildsurfer92
3rd Gear Member

85 had the 7.5 inch rear
Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelty

OK, so the sn95 weighs a little more. The fox has 4 lugs. This is going to be a full out drag car, so the fox has 1 point with the weight, I will swap the rear axle, probably for shortned 9in, which I can get any combination of brakes and lug pattern. Not so concerned with sound, since it will not be my DD, I still have my 02 for that. All in all, its looking like a fox, thanks guys, anything else?
If your looking for making an all out drag car, find a notchback, they have a stiffer frame over the hatch and are the lightest of the fox body run
oh without a shadow of doubt, I think the notchs are the sexiest fox's, and thats what I am leaning towards beause I can pick one of those up cheaper than a sn95
i agree completely notches are freaking sexy and the lightest out the of the bunch. but good luck on finding a nice cheap. notches tend to go for more also
Old 11-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

If your looking for making an all out drag car, find a notchback, they have a stiffer frame over the hatch and are the lightest of the fox body run
oh without a shadow of doubt, I think the notchs are the sexiest fox's, and thats what I am leaning towards beause I can pick one of those up cheaper than a sn95
i agree completely notches are freaking sexy and the lightest out the of the bunch. but good luck on finding a nice cheap. notches tend to go for more also
could always snag a 4 banger notch cheap and do a v8 conversion, though that may take away from the cheap aspect
Old 11-09-2007, 01:52 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Notch FTW! If you were gonna cruise around on the streets I would go with the SN though. Although, if you want a clean notch expect to pay for it. Try to find a roller, they are quite a bit cheaper, and seem to be pretty abundant.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

well cheaper than a sn95, not cheaper than most fox's.

I could just throw in some what 31 splines in and a nice locker with some 5 by 4.5 axles? For a full drag car, would yall do the c clip eliminators or what?

Also what year in the 87-93 range would ya'll look for? All have hydraulic rollers right? What changes in the years to decrease power? emissions equip or what?

Quick Reply: Which 5.0 to buy?