5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

should i sell?

Old 11-09-2007, 04:40 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

Default should i sell?

just got my car back from the third body shop. got 3 different estimates on getting my framed straightened. I guess the whole front is messed up and would need to get realigned with some new parts. the cheapest estimate was 2300 all the way up to 3700. should i just sell my car and try and find a fox body that has a blown motor to put my stroker in. or what? i need opinions people.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:46 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Default RE: should i sell?

It might be an option. Does it drive bad or something? Why do you want to fix it?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
ctgreddy
6th Gear Member

it pulls to the right and is a little difficult to keep going straight when its windy.
i would just deal with it but my grandpa is helping me pay for some of the motor build and he wont let me put the money into a car that dosent drive straight. im gonna take it to one of my dad's friends who has a real nice shop and get an estimate from him but i think if this one isnt under 1000 im just gonna try and get like 2000 outta my car and buy a 4cyl fox with a decent body. hopefully i can find one around that price range.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:50 PM
GhostRider02GT
5th Gear Member

you can find a roller pretty cheap
Old 11-14-2007, 01:21 AM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Do you know what exactly happened? Was the car in an accident that you know of? I would agree with your Grandpa as far as putting money into a car that doesn't drive straight. It will cause future wear and tear issues, and will beharder to sell in the future, AFTER you put more money in to it.

This is what I would do to give you a start to the problem: You obviously did the right thing by going to shops to ID the problem. You weren't exactly clear when you said it would need to get realigned with some new parts. Are you talking body or suspension? if the car had been fixed previously, there really shouldn't be any body parts that would need to be replaced as far as aprons/rials etc, unless they were fixed when kinked and against industry collision standards. You would be basically looking at pull time then.

Do two things:

1. Drive the car with a friend following you to watch the way it tracks, I know you said it was the front, but it also would not hurt to look at the rear to see if it is straight, or how far the ft/rear may be off. If it dog tracks/dog legs, then that is a stronger case to get rid of it.

2. Go to your Dad's friend's shop, and have him tram the car. This will take about two minutes, it is a measurement/cross measurement of how far the car may be off from Ford specs. Body shops have this schematic in their estimating software...But the best thing that should be done is to get the car on a frame/chassis machine, such as a Chief. It will take about 2.5 hours or labor and cost like $120 bucks, but most importantly give you a computer print out of where the car is twisted, swayed, mashed, or has diamond. 2-3mm is with in factory tolerances. It will color code it for you and all and your friend should be able to read the sheet to you. This is really the best way to go.

94-98mustang bodies flex pretty well from the ones I have seen whenI worked in the collision industry. If the print out is good, or off a little, talk with the shop to be doing repairs. Keep in mind that their estimates may be so high not because of the frame work to be done, but because they have to tear down the front of the car to get to the frame horns etc. etc.

Go over it with your friend, and decide how much you like your car... let me know if I can be of further help. Good Luck.