MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L General Discussion (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion-87/)
-   -   painting rims (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-general-discussion/369367-painting-rims.html)

droptopred 11-12-2007 12:27 PM

painting rims

hows it going guys i got a 99 gt now and i want to paint the rims because i really like them and i want to make them black how would i do that someone told me that in the 5.0 section they saw a couple of people did it and i wanted to know if it was hard and what paint i should use?

USMC1775 11-12-2007 01:16 PM

RE: painting rims

Well if you like your wheels, get them powdercoated. If you dont care and are going to replace them, rough them up and then use gloss black spray can.

Does Not Exist 11-12-2007 03:06 PM

I remember some MF member did scuffed up his rims and painted part of em black....ended up looking really good. Can't remember his name for the life of me though.[>:]

droptopred 11-12-2007 08:00 PM

im scared to mess it up.. lol

95vertGTS 11-12-2007 08:49 PM

-Use 600 grit to rough them up.

-Clean them REALLY good, and make sure they are perfectly dry.

-Purchase High Temp black engine paint and High performance wheel clear coat.

-Spray a dry coat

-Wait a few minutes

-Spray a wet coat

-Wait a few minutes

-Spray another wet coat.

-Wait a few minutes

-Spray a dry coat of clear

-Wait a few minutes

-Spray a wet coat of clear and repeat.

I've done many sets of wheels, take the advice or leave it. I've taken a screwdriver to my center caps after the paint and it doesn't chip, except on these wheels I didn't sand or rough them up, just straight high temp and no clear coat.

wildsurfer92 11-12-2007 09:22 PM

sorry for my ignorance, but what the hell is a wet coat and a dry coat?

95vertGTS 11-12-2007 09:50 PM

ORIGINAL: wildsurfer92

Those might not be the technical names, just what my dad calls them.
Wet coat meaning when you spray it, it is glossy. Dry meaning when you spray it, it is dull, even though the paint is gloss.

adumb 11-12-2007 10:23 PM

ORIGINAL: wildsurfer92

i was gonna ask the same question.. ya learn something new everytime.

you got some nice pics of the wheels painted we can see. i got some ten holes that are pretty useless that i could try it on.

wildsurfer92 11-12-2007 10:51 PM

yea im still not following..how can you spray it and it be dry? unless you are spraying from far away so the paint particles dry before they hit the surface?

jaznasy69 11-12-2007 11:11 PM

If ya gonna spray them use a rustoleum.. I painted my brothers Ricer with it 2 years ago and there still going