5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

question for the drag racing ppl here

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default question for the drag racing ppl here

ok full mods...

4cyl springs, strange struts, no sway bar, frpp shorties, o/r h pipe, dumped flows, shifter, skinnies, m/t drag radials, comp cam(218/224 at .050, .512/.512), and a 100 shot(wet) 3.73s

things in bold arent on the car yet but will be very shortly.

now, i have $200 left over, and am wondering what i will benifit more from... a ported stock intake/tb... an exploder intake, or what im leaning towards... a crane hi-6s ignition box

i like the ign. box, it has a rev limiter(nitrous... rev limiter would give some piece of mind) stronger spark, comes set up to "plug and play" w. all the harness ****. and best of all, it has a 2 stage built in, which i think will really help my consistance and short times

so... intake or 2 step?
Old 11-12-2007, 02:07 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: question for the drag racing ppl here

so your sprayin without a window switch? id probably get the ignition box too
Old 11-12-2007, 03:13 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

I believe dimebag has an msd window switch
Old 11-12-2007, 03:21 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yeayea i have a window switch... no worries there... msd digital window switch... good lil box lol... to make life easy well say... i dont need anything for my nitrous set up, besides maybe 2 more jets(150 shot!)
Old 11-12-2007, 04:53 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I would go with the ignition.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:17 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

i would probably save a little more, and find some gt40 heads. i found my gt40p's with comp 1.6 rockers and crower springs for $300. if you're still running stock heads with a new cam, you're not really going to see the full potential of that cam.

also, it sounds like you're about to throw in an xe270. That's a pretty radical cam if you're still running on SD. someone on here(zach i think) was running that cam on SD, and eventually switched to MAF. its a good cam, but get some heads that will compliment it. my maf conversion cost me $170 (not counting when i upgraded my MAM)
Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yeayeayea i know i should get heads, but thats not happenin, just not in the budget. i know i SHOULD switch to MAF but if i can go w. out doing it, i will... hell i already have the comp and sensor, so it'd be free to switch over.

yea i know its not a small cam, but i wasnt trying to buy a cam now, and then again in a few months or w/e... ive done my homework dont worry

and yea... i wouldnt even be doing a cam if i didnt have to... stock one ****ed up, so its needed..
Old 11-12-2007, 10:22 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

is this your daily driver dime bag if so i say you save that 200 and put it towards a dd / beater
Old 11-12-2007, 10:31 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

yes its my DD... no im not savign 200 bucks for a beater... i have my moms tahoe as a back up.. ive been driving it for a month now... if **** happens, i drive it
Old 11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
telsonman
3rd Gear Member

well, i'd tell you that if you can go ahead and convert to MAF, then do it. your car will get more out of the cam that way. with a sd, you'llhave that surging idle whenever you come to a stop. zach was saying that he would pull up to a red light, and it would sound like he was reving the **** out of his car. its kind of a waste of gas to me($3/gal here in ga). after you convert, you won't have to worry about working around anything except your pocketbook...

you can find some gt40 heads for $200, and use your stock rockers. check craiglist or corral.net. i opted for my heads because i didn't feel like paying $1200 for some aluminum heads. I'm fixing to get married and househunting, so i figure i can do it later down the road. work with what you got man, you'll feel better about it down the road

Quick Reply: question for the drag racing ppl here