5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Smog Pump Delete in Arizona?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
camaroeater
4th Gear Member

Default Smog Pump Delete in Arizona?

Can I remove my smog pump on my 88 5.0 and still pass emisions?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Smog Pump Delete in Arizona?

I don't know to be honest with you. I recently had my car inspected, and the people there aren't all that well educated on what smog equip. to be looking for. For example, they didn't even inspect for cats.

Will it pass a visual, maybe. Pass the computer, don't know. Call one of the shops in town and see what they say.I know one on the west side was able to get there cars through the visual w/o a lot of the smog equip.

NOX appears to be the hardest category here to pass.

I will tell you something that I just found out by looking on MVD's website a short time ago(check the air quality website as well), and I heard second hand as well. It appears to be true, but I haven't done it yet, but you car will qualify. If you have collector or classic insurance on it (which comes with its own whole set of rules), they notify the MVD, and they somehow mark your registration, that you are emission exempt.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:35 AM
raven_ghostwolf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Smog Pump Delete in Arizona?

No you can not pass AZ emissions with out the smog pump hooked up they will look for it. They also do a mirror inspection for the cats. I have hollowed out cats on my 87 and by passed the smog pump for day to day driving, but left it in place.

When I was still in Maricopa county I would just put on the larger belt to make it functional do a fresh tune up and run it thru. Once it did fail the tail sniffer I replaced the o2 sensors went back for the re-test and passed fine.

If your in Pima county the test levels there are not as stringent but they still check for everything. And no you can’t get tested in Tucson for your tags if you live in Maricopa county. Lucky for me I live and work in central Pinal where I don’t have to pass emissions anymore.