5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

4 cyl to V8 conversion

Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 AM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 4 cyl to V8 conversion

ok jasper. i will. it all depends on the year of car. especially for computer and harness. whether u want mass air or speed density? anyways the basic stuff is complete driveline. motor trans and rear end. radiator too, unless its from a 4 cyl with a/c. then its the same as a 5.0 radiator. brake booster and master cylinder is different as well. especially if u upgrade the front brakes to 5.0 spec. 4 cyl brakes are smaller diameter rotors just like 86 and back gt. as are the spindles springs and struts. i mean this is a complete 2.3 to 5.0 swap right? so onward with what this entails. the brake line running to the back of the car (yes the longggg metal one) is bent and routed completely different all because the rear brake hose is mounted up on trunk floor pan to help clear the dual exhaust should u choose to run tail pipes. fuel lines are routed completely different too as 4 cyl ones come out on drivers side and 5.0 ones come out on passenger side.fuel pump is different as well as u need to feed a v-8 and not a 4cyl. instrument cluster has to be changed as tach is different as well as the speedo. its cheaper to buy a cluster than the tach and speedo seperately. the quad shock mounts that are on the frame hae to be swapped over too. that is if u want the quad shock. they simply unbolt from the rear of the frame and bolt onto the four cylinder holes. other misc. items include trans crossmember (some 4cyl cars came with a dual hump crossmember so u may not need to change this.) and dual exhaust hangers for passenger side muffler and tailpipe. these are a simple bolt on install. dont forget to take the bolt tabs for the muffler hanger off the car and take em to the 4 banger body. rear supension, control arms are the same springs arent. shocks are the same. vacuum tree for brake booster and cruise control has to be changed also. its on the firewall. all underhood a/c components will have to be changed for obvious reasons. condenser stays the same. all tib and tad solenoids,(those are on the backside of the passenger side strut tower) hace to be changed as well. those are v-8 specific. miscellaneous under hood items are the obvious, fan, shroud, vacuum lines, radiator hoses etc. now i will delve deeper into the computer and wiring harness. now most of us know that 87-88cars were speed density and non-massairexcept for california 88 cars, so if u get one of these ur lucky. also 87-90 were a two plug engine harness and 91-93 were a single plug harness. now, an 89 harness will effectively change a 87-88 to mass air, however, a 90 harness is year specific. meaning if u have a 90 and dont want ur air bag light flashing and that annoying air bag alarm going off, and most importantly u want the air bag sytm to work, u have to get the 90 motor harness ONLY. unless u want to go thru the trouble of replacing the entire dash harness to work with a 91-93 motor harness. and believe me when i say the 90 harness is VALUABLE. now, if u want to do the dash harness swap, it isnt difficult, just time consuming. so that is a complete 4 cyl to 5.0 swap in a nutshell. sure u can cut corners but it would take u away from the learning experience. i hope this helps anyone and everyone.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:02 AM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

almost forgot a couple small details. the front swaybar is different as well. its a thicker diameter. the metal plates for the four banger motor mounts have to be removed from the k member. k member doesnt have to be changed. theres also some little brackets underneath by trans crossmember that have to be removed. ( on some cars only.) note: this swap covers 87-93 models only. some things may not apply on pre 87 models.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

wow 1fstlx sure ran down the list good job, I feel I must add:
--the wiring harnesses out there that you can buy are missing peices... they are more for universal swaps you know efi ford into anything boat bronco hell harley
summit and the ford racing harness (do they still sell it??) are missing the diagnostic hook up points for one.

--more on the fuel lines... while there ARE two lines for a returnless system like you want (believe me you want) they are BOTH smaller. I used the larger of the two for main pickup and engine feed and was in process of using the other line for nitrous enrichment via mechanical pump hooked up to manual fuel pump I had sourced an front timing cover from a '66 mustang..... but then again I was simply using a carb for a fun track car, IMO you might be money ahead off getting the car you really want. In any case the 4 cylinder car if in good shape can sip gas today......... and morph into future big block race car one day??? [&:]

--the steering wheel is different! you might get a foam/vinyl one instead of the nicer leather wrapped
--wheels too those nasty plastic vent looking things yeach! (and they have a smaller dia than many)

Its not like there is any ONE task thats impossible, but there are just so many little tasks if you want is to be really close to ford stock 5.0 efi emission legal etc etc when you are done. These cars are all old enough to where they probably need other items taken care of additionally. I am currently daily driving my 1993 silver notch auto with black interior just like I wanted -- but when I compiled the list (VERY long list) and crunched the $$ and time it would REALLY take (wanted to also convert to stick), buying the 5.0 5 speed I REALLY wanted was cheaper. So I shall sell my 1993 when my new 92 is freshened up to my standards.

-----------------------info on the aftermarket wiring harnesses out there-----------------------
RJM Injection Tech
Lansing, MI
517-455-7352

Built in the U.S.A. with brand new OEM Ford connectors, 260 degree GXL wire, 300 degree corrugated wire loom, and 1200 degree fiberglass loom around the exhaust. These are built right, quality checked, and electronically tested for the highest quality harness on the market today. Harness will give you the cleanest most reliable fuel injection installation! Works with any performance upgrade or engine diagnostic tool designed for the Mustang 5.0L. Includes firewall grommet and complete instructions.

But why purchase this EFI harness, how does it compare to the other harnesses on the market? Here are all the Ford EFI harnesses that are on the market already, feel free to compare.

Ford Racing Performance Parts EFI harness:
M-12071-A50 = $650 Retail

1 piece design
Harness does comes wrapped, no 1200°F fiberglass protection.
Must reprogram ECU for Electric Fan.
Relays are non-serviceable!
Does not include Alternator, or guage sender wiring.
No Speed Sensor, can cause stalling.

Ford Racing Performance Parts EFI harness:
$535 for all 3 harnesses (M-12071-C302 / M-12071-E302 / M-12071-J302)

Obsolete as of 2003 (still get on eBay if you really want)
3 piece harness design is for assembly line production
Harness Disconnect system was recalled on 3/27/1992 (RECALL 91E19)
15 wires to connect, and other wires will need to be moved.
Harness does comes wrapped, no 1200°F fiberglass protection.
Does not include Alternator, Inertia switch, or A/C compressor connectors.
Harness fits a 93 Mustang, other applications require re-working the harness.
Made in Mexico

Painless Wiring Ford EFI harness:
60510 = $550 Retail

1 piece design
Missing important circuits and will not allow an engine running Self-Test (KOER).
Sensitive TFI wiring is not shielded which increases chance of ignition failure.
Does not come with any covering, bare harness with zip ties.
8 fused circuits are very bulky. 1 fuse just for 4 injectors is pointless overkill.
Only 2 relays, does not provide clean power source for the entire harness.
No Air Conditioning or Alternator options available.

Street & Performance, Inc:
$700 to $1000
Harness is not “New†they re-use old connectors and wire from a harness you send them.
They started a false rumor that “Ford has discontinued the connectors.â€
Harness comes wrapped, no 1200°F fiberglass protection.
They can make a custom fit harness.

Windsor Fox EFI harness:
$625 to $1000
Harness is not “New†they re-work the above (discontinued) Ford Racing EFI harness.
Harness comes wrapped, no 1200°F fiberglass protection.
Air Conditioning and Alternator options available.
They can make a custom fit harness.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/89lx_mus...stang_main.htm

http://www.thatmetalbox.com/89lx_mus...stang_main.htm
Old 11-19-2007, 08:11 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

That harness report is quite right.

The Ford Racing harness at Summit looks like it should be correct for a '93
You have to be careful on matching years of car and wire harness used.

If you have a '93 you can use the $205 Ford Racing Harness. ....... not $550 as stated above.
'93 harness is unique mainly due to the fuel pump relay being in the engine bay and not under driver seat.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

If you have an 89-92 then you have to use that years wire harness.
MPS auto salvage has em for about $300 and on ebay for $100-150.

Ford Racing harness does have the code puller port and from the diagrams
looks like a factory 1993 5.0 harness as far as I can tell.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 PM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

thanks for the extra info guys! im know ALOT about this stuff but not EVERYTHING. thats why i joined this site. im always interested in finding out new info so i can pass along learned knowledge to others. (and so i can get into arguments with idiots who dont know $#!+)
Old 11-19-2007, 11:51 PM
golden_eye
3rd Gear Member

No one mentioned that while a 4 banger T-5 will work, you may want to find a 5.0 T-5 because the 4-cyl one has different gear ratios (shorter gears overall) and a torque rating of 240 lb/ft as opposed to 300-330 lb/ft.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
roberto_145

Would the harness from a 88 Lincoln mk7 work in a 89 4-cylinder fox?

I know tons of the other parts swap over (including the engine)
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 PM
1fstlx
1st Gear Member

i dont think it does. theres extra stuff in the lincoln that mustang doesnt have. the motor will, u have to swap accessories cause the front accessories on a lincoln are different. but other than that its the same motor.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

x2

...but wait! you asked if it would work. yes, however you can make anything work. folks make their own ford efi harnesses from scratch. It would not be prudent to do so esp. if you are not very good at wiring and do not have a very firm grasp on 12v negative ground style wiring

If you doubt your ability realistically, getting a junked car that DOES have the setup you WANT already in place is the way to go... that and LOTS of time PAINSTAKING attention to detail, its just not for most people but is sure is impressive when somebody does it nice!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4 cyl to V8 conversion