5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

springs and shocks....

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 05:55 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default springs and shocks....

when you lower your stang do you need to get new shocks/struts as well? I know that CC plates are a good thing

also, what is a good brand of shocks for the rear end. I want the car to launch better, yet I want to beable to carve corners as well, I live in an area with wickid curvy roads...

I only wanna drop the car maybe an inch to an inch and a half... my 5.0 looks like a truck.... a fast truck...

if I take the quad shocks off, do I need better control arms?
Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: springs and shocks....

quad question... yes

lowering+launching... no dice...pick one... mine sits stock height and launches great
ether way u go, strange10 way shocks/ struts
Old 11-20-2007, 06:00 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

im gunna be getting a coil over kit for the rear of my car it bolts right in its 600 bucks and has 10 or 12 way adjustable shocks and 6 inches of ride hight adjustablity
Old 11-20-2007, 06:02 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks, I think I'l go with lowering, as I'll rarely see the track gonna get around to it this summer, as I dont have money now... damn low paying job....

just gonna research.

maybe go with the Eibach pro kit or sportlines...

CJ sells a set thats like 160
Old 11-20-2007, 06:04 PM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

these are the ones ill be getting http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...s&CatKey=74-01
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

these are the ones ill be getting http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/ite...p;CatKey=74-01
nice
Old 11-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL:
when you lower your stang do you need to get new shocks/struts as well?
also, what is a good brand of shocks for the rear end. I want the car to launch better, yet I want to beable to carve corners as well, I live in an area with wickid curvy roads...
lower your mustang.... HOW do you mean, if you mean to say lower with springs thats one thing you could always get lowering spindles, its better for your geometry.
ok, if you lower using springs that means that you have increased your spring rate. manufactures make a shorter free-standing spring but make it "stiffer" this means that your stock 100,000 mile shocks which were barely holding on as they were - are now asked to work much harder then they ever have in their life. in essance you will be pulling the shock apart and shoving it back together with more force but over a smaller distance..... you have modified your suspension to be "always partially compressed" and therefore have less room left over to dampen the rough ground etc you are traveling over, your "stiffer" shocks simply dont allow the car the range of motion it once enjoyed. it must do its dampening over a small distance

YES you must replace your shocks, actually STOCK replacements (on paper) will not cut the mustard, you should find shocks that match the spring rate of your new springs. Manufactures have this listed.

Getting stiffer springs and shocks help you in corner carving. lowering your car helps....well usually if you go too big our mustangs will run into steering problems that could play nasty tricks on us at speed when the (now modified) suspension is being articulated.... like a high speed turn on a twisty mountain road... the steering could suddenly act unpredictibaly... not good - the solution is to lower with lowering spindles

all these things mentioned are good for twisty corner carving like I said but do not transfer over to good drag launches. In fact its about the worst thing you could do for drag racing launching. Thats just how it is

If you take the quad shocks off you might want to get a panhard arm. If you drag race you might want to update your control arms anyway. Experiment and see what feels best to you. The quad shocks do help in a limited fashion on an otherwise stock rear setup.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

ORIGINAL:
when you lower your stang do you need to get new shocks/struts as well?
lower your mustang.... HOW do you mean, if you mean to say lower with springs thats one thing you could always get lowering spindles, its better for your geometry.
ok, if you lower using springs that means that you have increased your spring rate. manufactures make a shorter free-standing spring but make it "stiffer" this means that your stock 100,000 mile shocks which were barely holding on as they were - are now asked to work much harder then they ever have in their life. in essance you will be pulling the shock apart and shoving it back together with more force but over a smaller distance..... you have modified your suspension to be "always partially compressed" and therefore have less room left over to dampen the rough ground etc you are traveling over, your "stiffer" shocks simply dont allow the car the range of motion it once enjoyed. it must do its dampening over a small distance

YES you must replace your shocks, actually STOCK replacements (on paper) will not cut the mustard, you should find shocks that match the spring rate of your new springs. Manufactures have this listed.

Getting stiffer springs and shocks help you in corner carving. lowering your car helps....well usually if you go too big our mustangs will run into steering problems that could play nasty tricks on us at speed when the (now modified) suspension is being articulated.... like a high speed turn on a twisty mountain road... the steering could suddenly act unpredictibaly... not good - the solution is to lower with lowering spindles

all these things mentioned are good for twisty corner carving like I said but do not transfer over to good drag launches. In fact its about the worst thing you could do for drag racing launching. Thats just how it is

If you take the quad shocks off you might want to get a panhard arm. If you drag race you might want to update your control arms anyway. Experiment and see what feels best to you. The quad shocks do help in a limited fashion on an otherwise stock rear setup.
thanks

lowering spindles? Ive never heard of them? all I want is abount 1.5 inches lower all around, and a tighter suspension setup, right now, my car has 122 k on it, and going over rough ground can get scary at high speed. I was looking into an Eibach kit or a Maximum motorsports kit, I just dont know exactly what I want and can afford come summer.

I dont know if what I said acutally made sense
Old 11-21-2007, 04:46 PM
Tony71502
5th Gear Member

Im doing the shocks and springs on my car now. Im putting on a 6 piece KYB set with the gr2s up front and gas adjust in rear. Also the springs are from a place called Laurel Mountain Mustangs and they lower the car 1.5 inchs and are progressive rate,supposedly.The car only looks about 1 inch lower. Which is nice because i didnt want it dropped too much. You would also need c/c plates whichi already had.

In all it was about 220 for the shocks, 150 for springs, then the plates i already had were the steeda aluminum ones for about 200.

I just did the front today and the rear im doin on friday. Ill let u know how it turns out, it was pretty cheap and I plan on beating the crap out of it every day that I own it.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Yeah you made sense...
1979-1993 Racecraft Inc. Mustang 2" Drop Spindles (OEM Brakes)[/align] Details P/N 300101[/align] Price: $495.00 [/align]for use with your stock brakes, or anything that bolts on to the stock braking system (or non-drag race specific brakes)

Quick Reply: springs and shocks....