5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

proper fluids and preventative maintenance??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:31 AM
HACKGT350
6th Gear Member

Default RE: proper fluids and preventative maintenance??

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

Just my $.02, but i think syntheticoil is worthit even if you have a small leak. In my experience anyway, the little bit extra it leaks is worth the added protection that synthetic provides (especially in a car you're going to be driving alot in the city). Read this article for a little more info... http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm
if its a small enough leak yes but some of these motors leak like niagra falls
haha so true and mine is one of them right from the intake manifold front and rear its pretty bad looking
Old 11-25-2007, 12:03 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

i would also change your tfi module and o2 sensors if you can, you will really notice a difference in your car, atleast i did, although i did alot to it too. My person opinion follows pretty much with the rest, plugs, cap, wires, rotor, distributor if you wish, tfi module *its on the dizzy*, o2 sensors, oil change, tranny flush and fill, radiator flush and fill, also feel free to clean the air filter since its a k&n reusable however becareful if you oil the filter because our mafs dont like it alot. Another thing to do is to check all the injectors and clean them along with cleaning the maf. the maf is the mass air flow sensor which is behind your k&n air filter. I dont know if you have the cone, or the stock air box, if you have the stock air box, check to see if you have the stock air silencer and you can remove that also. Other then that your pretty much set. My main thing to make sure you do is the tfi module after the basic tune up that is, because you might notice a big difference after that.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:58 PM
CBurn
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: HACKGT350

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

ORIGINAL: 1985stang

Just my $.02, but i think syntheticoil is worthit even if you have a small leak. In my experience anyway, the little bit extra it leaks is worth the added protection that synthetic provides (especially in a car you're going to be driving alot in the city). Read this article for a little more info... http://www.boss302.com/oil.htm
if its a small enough leak yes but some of these motors leak like niagra falls
haha so true and mine is one of them right from the intake manifold front and rear its pretty bad looking
word.
thinking back i prolly should have sealed it up the last time i change the oil
Old 11-25-2007, 09:41 PM
ship

ok so I'm back to synthetic Mobil 1, appreciate that article!
I already use it in my truck and last time wal mart had a sale I stocked up, I have the cold air intake, stuck in the fender, have yet to even look at the filter element.
She's been running decent, I just want to keep it that way, I'm saving for a new tranny and I really can't afford for anything else to start acting up right now.
I googled tfi module, sounds like I should replace it from all the lawsuit stuff on the internet?!? Thanks for the heads up on that.

I love this car more and more each day, can't believe I just found out about these cars, this forum kicks *** btw.. lots of info here
Old 11-26-2007, 10:30 AM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

well im glad you like the forums and im glad you actually did a little research on what was posted. Thats good to hear man. These forums can help you out more then you realize. I can guarentee you though that if you don't change that tfi module some time, it will start giving you problems eventually. Maybe not now, maybe not in 50 thousand miles, but sometime it will and you will be wondering wtf it is for quite awile. Those tfi modules can cause WEIRD problems, car over heating and shutting off, hesitations, surges, not being able to pass 3500rpms when car is warm, that was my issue lol, really pissed me off although im an aod so it is what it is. Went through quite abit of cash before i asked the forums and the allmighty joel5.0 was like TFI MODULE. Replaced it, and solved all my problems. If you ever have any questions, heres the place to come to, NOT a mechanic, NOT a shop, NOT anywhere else, come here. This community has these cars and knows these cars better then anyone because WE drive them every day and have them as our street/strip or just strip or just street cars lol. WE know what there like, not a guessing mechanic.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:32 AM
ship

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

well im glad you like the forums and im glad you actually did a little research on what was posted. Thats good to hear man. These forums can help you out more then you realize. I can guarentee you though that if you don't change that tfi module some time, it will start giving you problems eventually. Maybe not now, maybe not in 50 thousand miles, but sometime it will and you will be wondering wtf it is for quite awile. Those tfi modules can cause WEIRD problems, car over heating and shutting off, hesitations, surges, not being able to pass 3500rpms when car is warm, that was my issue lol, really pissed me off although im an aod so it is what it is. Went through quite abit of cash before i asked the forums and the allmighty joel5.0 was like TFI MODULE. Replaced it, and solved all my problems. If you ever have any questions, heres the place to come to, NOT a mechanic, NOT a shop, NOT anywhere else, come here. This community has these cars and knows these cars better then anyone because WE drive them every day and have them as our street/strip or just strip or just street cars lol. WE know what there like, not a guessing mechanic.

I am definitely replacing the TFI module ASAP, I'm finally off work to finish class and do the whole family thing so she's going up in the air again soon to finish some maintenance and detail the underside to track down some leaks. This forum is definitely saving my *** cause I had no idea what I was getting into when I bought a mustang

-Ship