5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:38 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: $4 gas? HELP Design fuel efficient hot rod ford engine

****... ur in md too right? mjr...

im in cecil county, we have emissions, right down in kent county, literally 10 min from here, no emissions... i know where im moving to lol
Old 11-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 83gtragtop
You are not every going to get great milage with your 5.0. Even new V8 sports cars get poor milage. An '08 GT really doesn't get much better milage then a EFI 5.0. Why not stay true ford blue and save money at the pump by getting a used Focus or if you want alittle more fun how about an SVT Focus.
true blue, yup - thats why:
my dd is 1993 notch 4banger @ 27mpg average, (but want to switch to my 1992 5.0 5 speed for daily grind)
just hoping to get "good" miliage out of pushrod sbf, maybe... not "great" but "better"?

oh yeah the 1993 has 190,000 miles and still manages that 27mpg, not great but great for what it is I suppose[&:]
Old 11-26-2007, 03:59 PM
hillbilly pony
3rd Gear Member

No one has really payed attention to what he said at the beginning except DIME. He asked for people to submit what they would do if they were tasked with building an engine to make more than 220 HP and get 30 MPG.

I would say your example #2 would be the best idea. WITHa big shot for special occasions (dime). The only difference between gas engines and ethsnol engines is the ammount of gas needed to duplicate HP results. re programming a computer to adjust A/F ratios for the injectors is all the would really be necessary. (See MM&FF article recently where they took a 03 Cobra and made it an E-85)
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: dimebag

****... ur in md too right? mjr...

im in cecil county, we have emissions, right down in kent county, literally 10 min from here, no emissions... i know where im moving to lol
well Dimebag.....yes and no....I moved out a few years ago...but the shop remains in MD..as for where I live...hmmmmmmmm that's my little secret!!!.....WEST VIRGINIAFTW!!!!!!! we da' family tree don't fooooork no more!!!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

Thanks hillbilly pony, yup you got it... not looking for 600hp and 50mpg
just want to maintain or eclipse stock power whilst improving fuel miliage as much as possible with modern thinking, parts, and technique

hopefully all have improved in past 20+ years.

not looking for 600hp and 50mpg
Old 11-26-2007, 04:18 PM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hamutoff

Thanks hillbilly pony, yup you got it... not looking for 600hp and 50mpg
just want to maintain or eclipse stock power whilst improving fuel miliage as much as possible with modern thinking, parts, and technique

hopefully all have improved in past 20+ years.

not looking for 600hp and 50mpg
gt40p's will help both
Old 11-26-2007, 04:23 PM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

sadly enough i've been messing with some ideas on this for quite some time. I do know it's very possible, just a matter of figuring out how.

My idea was an intake manifold with longer skinnier runners for more low end, higher compression, as for heads I'm not sure which one would be a better starting point, E7's or E6's a cam setup for a 0-2500 or -3000 rpm power. Granted this may be tuning it down quite a bit, what power I use I could make up for with a twin turbo setup with some small exhaust housings for a low rpm powerband.

People keep telling me I need to just buy a honda or build my 2.3 turbo car for mileage. My whole reason for wanting to do this is I love driving v8 mustangs, I love the sound they make. & most of all because people say it's not possible to get good mileage & I know very well it is possible.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:33 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

289 with one of the newer crane distributors that have multiple electronic fuel curves, along with a small well tuned carb or a conservative (and rather lean) tune on a EFI setup.

manual transmission and higher gears like 2.70ish range.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

those are some good ideas... yes FoxGT thats the sprirt that led me to this post.
83gtragtop's GT40P heads + my77stang's 289 & electronics = good idea... hmm we are starting to get some ideas

hmmm I have my 67's orignal block
too bad I already sold my P heads
http://www.thatmetalbox.com/automotive/GT40P/

Could I machine my 289 crank to fit the 5.0 block 1 piece rear seal? I might go for this method as a starting point, since I have to buy pistons, should I go long rod or short for max mpg, I also read that for small cam profiles a flat tappet is more efficient? does that sound bunk?

What about throwing that in an efi fox mustang w/ stock upper and systemax1 lower

Old 11-26-2007, 05:41 PM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

The short answer is you're never going to get 'great' mileage out of a fox. If you want to drive a v8 the entire time then you're going to have to pay the price. Just like anything else, there's a sacrifice involved with doing something you like. Sure you can do things like taller gears, etc. but it's never going to be 'great.' What kind of mileage are you looking for? My '91 has new heads, cam, intake, other goodies spit through a manual trans and 3.73's, good traction will net me 12's and it'll get 20mpg if I drive it nice. When I had the stock motor w/ 2.73's I could pull 28mpg on the highway

Quick Reply: Max MPG Ford Fox Mustang V8 5.0 better gas miliage!