5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

How do you monitor your engine?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 02:12 PM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

Default How do you monitor your engine?

What types of gauges are neccesary when you have a slightly modified vehicle? What types of gauges should i used on my car? Sounds like a stupid question but i just need to know what types of things i need to monitor while i'm driving my car. I do a lot of 'performance' aka fast driving Thanks, you guys are always a huge help.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:35 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: How do you monitor your engine?

oil pressure and coolant are #1........after that I have a voltmeter gauge or amps gauge whichever you prefer.....if you have NOS then a pressure gauge for that too...or supercharged a boost gauge is good...I use all mechanical gauges for accuracy
Old 12-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Bullitt94
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

oil pressure and coolant are #1........after that I have a voltmeter gauge or amps gauge whichever you prefer.....if you have NOS then a pressure gauge for that too...or supercharged a boost gauge is good...I use all mechanical gauges for accuracy
+1
Old 12-03-2007, 02:56 PM
94RedDevil
2nd Gear Member

well i dont have nitrous, or boost. as for the oil pressure, number 1, i dont even know what my oil pressure should be at lol, man i feel like a *****, 2 i've heard that you should use electrical on that gauge as not to have oil spewing into the interior of your car if it decided one day to explode... and as for the volt gauge, is the one in my dash not suficient? how about vac gauge, anyone?
Old 12-03-2007, 03:00 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 94RedDevil

well i dont have nitrous, or boost. as for the oil pressure, number 1, i dont even know what my oil pressure should be at lol, man i feel like a *****, 2 i've heard that you should use electrical on that gauge as not to have oil spewing into the interior of your car if it decided one day to explode... and as for the volt gauge, is the one in my dash not suficient? how about vac gauge, anyone?
the elec gauge in your dash should be fine for charging info and a boost gauge often will read boost pressure and vaccum depending where you hook it up too....but you really don't need a vac gauge on a NA motor
Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

That is why most people that use mechanical oil pressure guages usually mount them outside the car under their cowl hoods. If you don't have a cowl hood, you can get a stock cowl replacement with a guage pod incorporated into it.

OR

You can run an electrical gauge, and put it in a pod inside your car and call it good.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:29 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

a tach, oil press guage, fuel press, coolant temp.... and no, dont expect anything out of the stockers... i had a siezed oil pump(no oil pressure at all) and my guage said i was fine.... i run an oil pressure guage under the hood, tach in the car, and water temp is next, prolly under the hood too
Old 12-04-2007, 12:07 AM
KOMan
1st Gear Member

i dont even know what my oil pressure should be at
as long as you have 10 psi for every 1000 rpm you will be fine. that's a general rule of thumb. more is ok but around 10 psi per 1000 rpm. so. at 3000 rpm you should have 30 psi...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

could do what i did, I have the nylon tube from the mechanical oil pressure gauge wrapped in two rubber tubes inside the car all the way to the gromet just to make sure.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

could do what i did, I have the nylon tube from the mechanical oil pressure gauge wrapped in two rubber tubes inside the car all the way to the gromet just to make sure.
what type of hose / size did you use??..cause I've been thinking of taking mine out from inside the car and putting it on the cowl gauge pods I have....I got i extra space left

Quick Reply: How do you monitor your engine?