5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

A/F ratio gauge useless..... or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 PM
GT350Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default A/F ratio gauge useless..... or not

about to s/c my car with a paxton putting 6psi. really worried about the a/f ratio being correct. I dont want my pistons having a race with my car on the highway. would buying a simple a/f gauge help know or should I just wait and get a wideband? or do I even need one?
Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A/F ratio gauge useless..... or not

if u do get one get a wideband. are u taking it to get tuned after u install s/c?
Old 12-10-2007, 05:45 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I have a narrow band...it is kind of irriating while cruising since it only really reads a optimal ratio...anything more it is in the red, andything leass it is in the red. I hook it up while I am at the track and while I am into it it will read alright. It will let you know if anyting major is going on.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:11 PM
GT350Stang
2nd Gear Member

I dont know of any shops around here that do dyno tunes so I will have to research. Is there a big difference in price and instal time from the narrow band to wide band? and is it really worth the extra money?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
whitelightning5.0
I ♥ Acer

i have one as well,mainly just to make sure nothing goof yhappens while on the spray....

but i had to wire a interupt switch in because its damn anoying at night...ive gotten pulled over for it before.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:59 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT350Stang

I dont know of any shops around here that do dyno tunes so I will have to research. Is there a big difference in price and instal time from the narrow band to wide band? and is it really worth the extra money?
Wide bands are usually used for tuning and can cost as much a $250 to buy, then you will have to have a bung welded into you exhaust. It would be really nice if you have a tweecer or PMS so you could adjust things.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:43 AM
GT350Stang
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

ORIGINAL: GT350Stang

Wide bands are usually used for tuning and can cost as much a $250 to buy, then you will have to have a bung welded into you exhaust. It would be really nice if you have a tweecer or PMS so you could adjust things.
I'm not worried about the welding I have been doing that for years but what is the "tweecer or PMS" you are talking about. I just dont know much about these EFI cars, usually have a carb car. this is the first one that I have build so I am going kindof blind on what to do.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:47 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

A tweecer and PMS are basically a system they someone would use to fine tune their cars computer to run proper. Instead of going and getting a tune and a chip made, then adding more mods, then re-tuning and another new chip, you can make all your own adjustments, make all your own tunes and changes. I will be looking into getting one one day.....
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM
GT350Stang
2nd Gear Member

are they just really expeinsive or what? and would I really need to get it tuned with only running 6psi?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

yes they are pricey, I would get it tuned to be safe even with 6lbs boost...I run 8lbs with my setup

Quick Reply: A/F ratio gauge useless..... or not