5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

why did this happen?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:44 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default why did this happen?

if any of you know I thought I blew a head gasket last night, I pressurized the cooling system and it didnt leak so its farther in the motor, I pulled the upper intake and the ports looked like this? any ideas as to why?

Old 12-15-2007, 01:48 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: why did this happen?

sucking oil into the intake?
Old 12-15-2007, 01:56 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

okay I am a complete motor idiot, why would it do that? its a rebuilt 302 with like 40-50k on it, it doesnt burn oil just leak it
Old 12-15-2007, 03:16 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Theres about three reasons - and it's somewhat normal to look like that. You have the oil breather tube going from the oil cap spout sucking into the throttle body - so any blowby and oil vapors go right through there, also the PCV valve vacuum gets sucked into the intake - so once again oil vapors and blowby vapors get drawn in there, and one last thng is exhaust vapors sucked in through the EGR go throuhg there. The mixture of all of these makes the intake runners look sortof like that.

If the motor is tired, it will look a bit worse as compared to a good running one.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:24 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

This one is mine... engine runs ****... super clean on the inside, but a bit dirty on the outside... you can still see the factory paint that they use to distinguish between intake and exhaust valves...

But the intake runners are a bit messy never the less.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:27 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

doesnt really matter anymore, car is getting a 347 now!
Old 12-15-2007, 04:22 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

Theres about three reasons - and it's somewhat normal to look like that. You have the oil breather tube going from the oil cap spout sucking into the throttle body - so any blowby and oil vapors go right through there, also the PCV valve vacuum gets sucked into the intake - so once again oil vapors and blowby vapors get drawn in there, and one last thng is exhaust vapors sucked in through the EGR go throuhg there. The mixture of all of these makes the intake runners look sortof like that.

If the motor is tired, it will look a bit worse as compared to a good running one.
Thats my guess right there. oil is getting through with the pcv

prime did you already buy your kit?
Old 12-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

+1. My runners look about like that too--hopefully a little better now that I run a pcv oil separator. If you've lost oil pressure, I think your problem is much lower in the motor.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: primetime5.0

okay I am a complete motor idiot, why would it do that? its a rebuilt 302 with like 40-50k on it, it doesnt burn oil just leak it
It DOES burn oil...that's why the intake runners look like that. But then, allengines burn oil; they're supposed to.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:57 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

Thats my guess right there. oil is getting through with the pcv

prime did you already buy your kit?
no not yet I called my mechanic buddy who is an eagle dealer and we are going to talk more pricing on monday, cast crank, h beam rods, and forged pistons, some where in the 10:1 compression range

Quick Reply: why did this happen?