5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Exhaust on stock 92 stang , questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 PM
hektik86

Default Exhaust on stock 92 stang , questions

Hey, im new to here. hey everyone.......lol

I bought a stock fox stang 92 this summer .. and now its stored, but i want it to sound louder....

I heard flowmasters 40's they sound real good.

Do you think it would sound good if id only replace the mufflers with flowmasters, and get BBK shorties on there?....and let everything else stock like that?.......
Old 12-18-2007, 12:45 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust on stock 92 stang , questions

ya that will be fine. it will be a b!tch to get the mufflers off the stock pipes. and you may need to add an extension if the mufflers rnt the same length as the stockers. i bought mac mufflers and just swapped the stock catback pipes on. a few months ago my buddy sold his car and gave me his mac catback so now i have 2.5" pipes instead of the stock 2.25". at the time when i bought the mufflers i didnt see the importance of the extra .25" for and extra $180. and the shorties will just bolt up to ur stock h-pipe.

but why flowmasters? ya i kno they sound good. but EVERYONE and their grandmother has flowmasters. try something different.

https://mustangforums.com/m_2658946/tm.htm
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM
jclaudii
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust on stock 92 stang , questions

It will be louder. I bought the flow master cat back exhaust kit from jegs and it has a good sound on my '92 stang. If you wanted it to be alot louder you can order the above kit but bolt some turn downs on it kinda towards the side instead of installing the rear pieces. I lost a rubber hanger one time causing my tails to rub on the tire putting a hole in the side of my exhaust making it sound airy. I took them off and put turn downs on for a while. It lasted about a year or so before I decided to put them back on because of the headaches it gave me from it's constant drone at speed. If you order the kit you can try it both ways and see which way you like better.

If you wanted something different I would go with magnaflow now or something quieter with a soft growl. It also sounds pretty good with just the cats and no mufflers It's loud, but I have heard trucks with glass packs that are louder than my cat only stang. I ran it without mufflers for about a year before the cops said that I have to have mufflers. I tried telling them that I am quieter than some vehicles in this town with mufflers! I didn't win that argument and I got the flowmaster kit to prove I put mufflers on my car.

Where you live, I am in arkansas. If you live close I may trade you my cat back for your quiet ones.