5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

T-5 suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:44 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

Default T-5 suggestions?

Well i pulled my transmission for the winter cause it was about to quit. Of coarse tono suprise my forth gear had some extreme wear along with other extremed fatigued parts. Planning on doing a straight cut gear set,changing the 1st gear raito,having liberty transmissions pro shift it, maybe face plateing it, and pulling the 5th gear out due to unneeded rotating mass and is rarely street drove. ANYWAYS on to the question, What type of flywheel should i run? billet steel or aluminum? weight? I'm gonna be side stepping the clutch around 5.000 rpm's this next year so i think i need to upgrade the driveshaft, anybody got any suggestions on a driveshaft? I'll also be buying a scattershield and a good mcleod clutch. I'm kinda skeptical on running the stock bell housing.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:50 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

Default RE: T-5 suggestions?

i wouldnt do all that **** with a t5 trans... get something better
Old 12-08-2007, 10:54 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

Wouldn't do what dimebag
Old 12-08-2007, 11:07 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

sorry... i wouldnt waste the money on doing that work to the t5, straight cut gears, proshifted, etc... unless you put money into making the casing stronger... thats the prob w. these trannys... it will twist, gears will clash... things go boom... if you can make the casing stronger, then go for it
Old 12-08-2007, 11:12 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

any suggestions on the case dimebag?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Why not look into a Tremec or a T56?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

well the tremec deal i'm not so sure about it. I gotta buddy that bought a tko 600 and it don't shift quick enough obvisly cause its a syncronized transmission. I've been told you gotta have them pro shifted to make them a good\quick shiftin transmission. And also the transmissions are 1800 plus gotta buy new shifter etc. It ends up being close to 3 grand to do it. Kinda pricy in my opinion. idk
Old 12-09-2007, 06:09 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

i honestly dont know how to make the case stronger... 94gtcoupe has some ways, but he's never around anymore...

what i do is have a t5 in the car, and a back up in the shed, but in your case your putting alot of money into the trans, cant really have a back up one sitting around

if you want to do it w. a t5, dont half *** it... get straight cut, or straighter cut gears(gforce), get it proshifted(i assume its a DRAG ONLY set up right?) lake wood makes a scatter shield. get an aluminum flywheel, and a damn good clutch if you want to side step it(spec stage 3 or 4??)... as for the driveshaft, i dunno what to tell you there... id prolly keep the stocker, and have a back up or too, their cheap
Old 12-09-2007, 06:28 PM
nit4gudtime
2nd Gear Member

I had talked to Liberty transmissions and they said that their stuff aint that good. I'm startin to believe there just downin on another company. Although Liberty has been around for a long time so idk. I mostly drag this car so its getting straight cut gears no doubt. I did go to g force's web site and they sell a stronger case for 250 bucks. Guess my best bet is to call them and talk to them and see what im gonna have in the tranny. If its no cheaper than a tko i'll probably just go with a tremec. Just kinda wanna build a bulletproof t5. Not downin on anybody that wants or runs a tremec. Why a aluminum flywheel? I'm not real understanding the whole flywheel thing. I plan on runnin a Mcleod paddle clutch. Thats what AMP recommended.idk
Old 12-09-2007, 06:35 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

I just said aluminum because your looking to save weight...(no 5th gear...), id prolly keep the stock one in my car

Quick Reply: T-5 suggestions?