5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Project GT40 heads *UPDATE*

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 01:27 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

Default Project GT40 heads *UPDATE*

Started the project today...

Here's the old(well 3000 miles old)

We didn't git er dun yet, but its getting there... Both heads are on and all the accesories are on, exhaust manifolds are on.

In the monin' we are putting the roller rockers on, intake, 24lb 'ers, and the X3Z... And we'll keep our fingers crossed...

I am so sick of working on cars right about now...

Old 12-21-2007, 01:33 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Project GT40 heads

so what do you get out of the whole deal???[&:]
Old 12-21-2007, 01:39 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

A pack of smokes, and a tall can (prolly cheap stuff though)
Old 12-21-2007, 02:00 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

man that's alot of work for little benifit!!! when I was in college I used to do similar stuff for people in my apartment complex!! heck..the trade off never worked to my favor!!! I'd help chicks out and the most I'd get in return was a warm bowl of stew!![>:]..oh well.....Now I'm married so I say screw it!!! unless of course the trade off has a incentive for me too......yeah yeah call me selfish but I got burned one to many times... heck one of my friends in my own shop told me that since he was giving me a some what reduced rent rate that it was my obligation to fix his warped rotors for free cause he was such a cheap *** and wanted only a pad slap without rotors and when it made the vibration worse he wanted me to warranty his rotors he refused to replace when I sold him the initial brake job.....after that I told him the only thing I was obligated to do was throw his ace out of my shop!! and then I moved out.......anyway there are all kinds out there!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 04:28 PM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

bout how long did it take ya with it being such a new motor?
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: greenstreak9205

bout how long did it take ya with it being such a new motor?
This was both of our first time going so far into the motor, but we both worked on it from 10 am to about 9 pm yesterday, and started again today at about 10 am and fired her up about 5 pm. The good thing about the motor being so new was that there was no sludge or frozen bolts to deal with. We dropped that motor in last October, so we were very familiar with most of the stuff on there.

Anyhow, we did run into some possible problems...

As we were putting in the 1.7's and had to check the preload and torque them, I had a bright idea to bump the motor over using one of those starter triggers, we bumped it and it moved too far than what I wanted to, so I got to the balancer bolt to turn it with the breaker bar, and it felt very rough and then it seemed to bind...[:@]

We just about schit our draws... Did we hit a valve??? Don't know... (We never clayed it - too much work, nor did we give it a full couple of revolutoins with the breaker bar after the rockers were tightend) Well, he got on the horn with the machinist who built everything, abd he did say that it is possible that the rings could bind a bit, being that they were exposed and may have had some reminants of coolant in them... But he did say that the only milling he did on the head were to clean them up...

So we then said 'screw it' and put the factory 1.6's back on... the only bad part was that we threw them in a pile and didn't install them where they came out... Oh well...

We didn't check for preload, just said to heck with them, but it did seem that after the pushrod wouldn't turn, we did have a few turns on the bolt to get them to torque... The may have more preload than a MF'er.

Got the 24lb ers in there, with the X3Z computer, and had fun trying to fire her up... We eventually did, and because he pulled one of the head bolts and about 1/2 a gallon of coolant pissed directly into the exhaust flange, we steamed up the street for quite some time... only from the driver side pipe though [&:].

We couldn't get the thing to run right, but after playing with the timing a bit, adjusting the TPS, it helped somewhat,but then luckily he thought of adjusting the fuel pressure down, it actually held an idle... Seems like it's running ok... He just drove it back to his house an hour away, and I think it made it there...

Then only problem now is exhaust leaks at both flanges, and it idles like crap in "Park", but it may be due to the fact that the X3Z is not made to run an auto..

If it can't be straigtend out, we will run the factory computer with an updated MAF...

Boy am I tired right now... And I have a very big mess to clean up in my garage

Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I guess the good thing is that it officailly has an H/C/I...

Cobra Intake (FRPP China replica)
Melling Stage 2 cam
Cobra GT40 Heads
Performance Parts throttlebody
Performance AOD
3.27's (we downgraded from 3.73's)
Old 12-21-2007, 10:35 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

why would you downgrade gears[&:]
Old 12-21-2007, 10:50 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Streetracer911

Gas mileage...

But everyhting has been an ordeal... Had 3.73's (possibly from the factory - the car may be a special edition - its a long story), found an axle with 3.27's from craigs list (an acehole wrecker in San Jose who always sells mustang stuff) $200 and it was bunk - it had a very bad whine while driving - guy would not take it back, (moral of that story is that if turning the pinion by hand feels very rough - do not installit in the car), then he needed a replacement right away and found some 3.08's for $50, got that installed and it was a good axle, but felt vey gutless, but had top end speed like a ****... I then spotted a pretty good 3.27 at pick n pull.Got it for$51 out the door including tax and core charge, but the axle seals were bad and the brakes were completely shot and the wheel studs had seen better days, so after replacing them, it turns out that the passenger side had a wobble. So we ganked the axles from the 3.08's last weekend and got it running...

If it's not one thing its another...

Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Streetracer911
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

ORIGINAL: Streetracer911

Gas mileage...

its a mustang what does this guy expect? If he wants good mileage he should get a civic [8D]

Quick Reply: Project GT40 heads *UPDATE*