5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

repairing clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

Default repairing clear coat

how much will it prolly run me to repair the spot of clearcoat the deer fuggered up on my front bumper?

would I need to have the clearcoat repainted on the entire nose or would they be able to feather that spot...

the green below is not harmed as far as I know....

I'd hate to say it, but would this be something to take the car to Maaco for? its only a few inches of fuggered clearcoat....

what would you guys say, 50-150 bucks?
Old 12-23-2007, 05:39 PM
ACE
4th Gear Member

Default RE: repairing clear coat

You would have to have the whole panel recleared to be done right. I know older clears do not react well to newer clears and like to peel and flake off. so you would need the whole bumper recleared or where ever it peeled up. Cost would be around 300 to be done correctly is my guess.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:42 PM
tmajikman
5th Gear Member

I just fugged my rear bumper up and I was told to make it look right you need to have the whole bumper re cleared. I would see what a body shop would charge to do it unless you have the equipment to do it right. You could make matters worse, been there and done that.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:43 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

^^^^ sounds right to me or more
Old 12-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

thanks, I do know of two body shops in my area, the one that did my mom'scar, tho he is hard to get a hold of...

and one that fixed my dads Grand am when it was backed into by a straight truck

edit

I dont know how old the paint on the nose is too, the car was in a wreck long before I got it, came from Maryland with an R title, and the nose that was put on it was from a red car...... could tell from factory overspray when I was under it changing the oil....

but I'l get it done once and get it done right.... may have to wait till spring or summer tho...
Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM
NYstang
MF Staff Snitch

do it once, do it right.

also, clear corners, and a ford emblem
Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

I kno I need a ford emblem....

deff getting clear corners tho, funny thing is, the car is getting inspected at the end of the weekluckily our mechanic is a freindly towards us, so I'm sure he'll pass me if I tell him new lights are on order....

or I'll duct tape a flashlight on the hood
Old 12-23-2007, 07:51 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Taking a bumper off if basically a labor charge of 2.0 hours depending on the car. Clear coat time should be no more than 2.5 hours really. They just scuff it and reshoot the clear on. Yeah they can burn just that particular section in, but on a plastic part you are going to have more flex/wear and tear from shopping carts/parking. Plus materials. Basically that would run $263 just adding up the time and materials $44 labor and hour/$26 materials here (AZ) and that's a reduced rate. Pay cash, bargain a little get out the door for $250.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 50Stocker

Taking a bumper off if basically a labor charge of 2.0 hours depending on the car. Clear coat time should be no more than 2.5 hours really. They just scuff it and reshoot the clear on. Yeah they can burn just that particular section in, but on a plastic part you are going to have more flex/wear and tear from shopping carts/parking. Plus materials. Basically that would run $263 just adding up the time and materials $44 labor and hour/$26 materials here (AZ) and that's a reduced rate. Pay cash, bargain a little get out the door for $250.

I gotcha, I'd call the local tech/autobody school, but I dunno if I'd want teenagers touching my car....

I'll try the dude who did my moms car first (cervinis Eleanor bodykit, racing stripes, the whole kit and kaboodle, we payed him pretty well, and he loves stangs, had 6 around the shop, may beable to work out a deal, if I can get in touch with him[:@] his shop is on his property, and getting him instead of his one employee is harder than changing a rear main seal[&:]

edit, would they really need to take off the bumper? couldnt they mask it? or do they need to to get the edges?

I dont remember how many screws and pop rivits hold the bumper on.... at least it didnt tear
Old 12-23-2007, 08:27 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

maaco thats what i think. they do good work i know im going to get bashed for saying that but if you dont mind paying a little bit they do great work and still beat local shops prices

Quick Reply: repairing clear coat