5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

idle.. still lost (update.. kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 03:08 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default idle.. still lost (update.. kinda)

ok so idk what to do now besides reset the base idle.. which idk why it would be necessary cuz it never used to idle high.. but when its cold it idles around 900 and hot about 1200.. ive checked for an intake leak several times (carb cleaner), i changed the ECT, and i just bought a new IAC. the tps was .865 cold and .870 hot. (between green and black wires) and ive cleaned the MAF a couple times too.. i should be getting my new 75mm pro-m maf in in about a week.

and if i do reset the base idle wont it just go up the 300rpm when it gets hot too? if any one has any ideas let me kno. thanx
Old 12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default RE: idle.. still lost

anyone?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

when did this all occur?? after a modification..or was it fine one day and out of the blue this occurred...have you checked for carbon build up in the throttle body and cleaned the throttle body recently.....IAC motor cleaned recently??......as for vaccum leaks..I use a smoke machine because it'll show up all and any in less than 1 min...but I know most don't have this luxury
Old 12-26-2007, 10:59 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

the iac was cleaned pretty recently but i just bought a new one and put it on.honestly it happened after i pulled the upper intake manifold off. but i was sure to re connect everything. i used a new gasket (cleaned the intake surfaces aswell). i torqued the bolts to i think 18lbs? im not pos if that is what it was but i checked online first b 4 i did it to make sure. and i did it in a cross pattern then the middle. ive checked several times for an intake leak. and ive had this guy that works at leonard's performance look for an intake leak (at FFW so i didnt have to pay for n e thing) idk im just lost now...

and yes ive cleaned out the TB as much as i could w/ carb cleaner.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you didn't disconnect the battery at all or mess with any of the idle settings when removing the upper intake did you???....also there are a lot of little connections that connect to the bottom of the intake and if the vaccum hoses are the original a small split may go unnoticed and cause probs too.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:05 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

my idle problem occured afte ri put the cobra intake on my car..i replaced everything( tps, iac, ect, cehcked vacum lines) and then i cleaned my 10 pin connecotrs behind the intake with contact cleaner and then put dielectric grease on the pins and my idle problem went away.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:24 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

hmm. ya i cleaned out the salt and pepper shakers aswell. i didnt put any dielectric grease on tho.. but i did close the female part a little and spread the male part... maybe ill buy some grease and and spray it w/ electric contact and see what happens.. i check all the tubes aswell and look for cracks or un connected tubes etc.

i didnt mess w/ any of the settings w/ it off but i did disconnect the battery.. is that bad?
Old 12-26-2007, 11:47 PM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

no i disconnected my battery and cleaned alll the connectors like maf tps ect, salt and peppers, dizzy, coil, i went all out i was bored, but connected ther battery about 25 mintues later started it up idle bonced for like 2 seconds and then idled without surge make sure you didnt hook any vacum lines up wrong
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

ill try unpluggin the battery just to reset the ecu. prob wont do much but ill try.. lol
Old 12-27-2007, 12:43 AM
89mustangfive0
3rd Gear Member

i set my tps to .998 its suppsoed to be set .997-.999 also make sure you have coolant int he car, low coolant will make your idle surge and maybe change the act( air intake temp sensor) im just throwing out some other suggestions lol

Quick Reply: idle.. still lost (update.. kinda)