5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 07:09 PM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

Default Should I buy it?

Okay so I have been looking for my first mustang. I am a college student so this car will be my Daily driver. Luckily I live in a small town, so my commute if about 5 mins both ways. As a result I don't have to worry too much about gas mileage, as long at its still in the double digits. I have been talking to a guy on craigslist with a 91 306ci GT. I would Like to get your guys thought about the car.

The guy has said that when the previous owner sold it to him it was reported to DMV that it had 100k on it, but he suspects the guy was lying and it had more like 200k on it. Since he has owned it he has put 29k on it. It is also a 5 speed.

Here is the add

"
THIS IS A REAL FAST CAR BUT STILL STREET LEGAL

The car is a 1991 mustang GT 5.0 and here is a list of what I’ve got into it. I’ve put 10,000 dollars in this car in the last 2 years trying to restore it. The motor was rebuilt with all new parts less then 50 miles ago. Clean pink and just got smogged this week. The car is very fast and seems to be very reliable. Unfortunately I have not got to enjoy this car like I hoped and I have to sell. I'm asking 6200.00 O.B.O.

-Engine-

Trick Flow H/C/I package (heads,cam,intake,rockers,pushrods,timing chain)
Block professionally rebuilt to 306 ci
24lb injectors
fuel regulator
255lph walbro fuel pump
accel distrubitor and coil
8.8 wires
c & L intake
75mm throttle body and egr spacer
bbk egual length headers
flowmasters
ford racing aluminum drive shaft
Oversized aluminum radiator
electric fan
upgraded alternator
I have gears for rear end but not yet installed

-Body-

Fresh paint
new windshield
new head lights
new tail lights
new front bumper/spoiler

-suspension-

Sub frame connectors

Lowering springs

BBK upper rear control arms

Granatelli Motorsports Adjustable lower Rear Control Arms

For the bad, the interior needs cleaned up and the front seats need re upholstered. the door panels would need replaced. There is no A.C. on the car."

The mileage Scares me a bit, but what do you think?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:13 PM
notchbackmatt87
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I buy it?

looks like a nice car but not for 6300
Old 01-06-2008, 07:19 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

chew him down a bit, but really he's got some $$$$ into the thing already - its worth a pretty piece of coin as is
Old 01-06-2008, 07:31 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i say if you can get him to 4,500 get it.
a tf top end kit is like 2k new,
heads $1,300
upper and lower man. $500
cam $250
.030 over pistons for 306 ---$---depends on which ones.
if the block was done right it should be great, it could be a 302, they could be lying, thats why you never know with some one who has messed with the car already.
even a h/c/i 302 5speed car should run mid 13's, still fun.

if the motor doesnt burn oil then and 4,500, jump on it. a 5.0 motor can go 200,000 miles and still run strong.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:33 PM
tooslow5.0
2nd Gear Member

shouldnt this be in general discussion?
Old 01-06-2008, 07:34 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

o i forgot, gas mileage on that car, stock gears, and driven like a grandmaw, and assuming its tuned and not running rich, 20mpg isnt out of reach. that motor will be able to breath good and efficent, so it wont need much to get it to cruising speed. i got 20mpg in my 331 auto w/ 3.27's, but it was running on the lean side.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:36 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

have a mechanic (not a shade tree guy) check it out if your unsure from the pic the engine looks clean as does the car..

also, grab a hammer and take it to those taillights[:'(]
Old 01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
DuFFMaNN
4th Gear Member

I forgot to put the the link to the kit he put on.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

Also the first thing I would do would be some time LX tails so dont worry.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:28 PM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

If he put as much work into it as he says (and it looks like he has), then it should be pretty reliable for a long time to come.

If you can get the price down a bit I'd say jump on it
Old 01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
50Stocker
2nd Gear Member

Motor has been rebuilt soI wouldn't really worry about the mileage since the car is supported well by the aftermarket, so if you need springs/shocks/rack etc. all the wear components are out there. I would ask to see if the guy has an pictures of the car before the repaint. You never really know the motive behind paint before a sale. In this situation it seems like the guy was just fixing up the car, but some people use it to hide major accident repair etc. Get it inspected by a pro, look at all the gaps closely, open and close both doors you want them to line up and not drop when you open them as on a unibody car the way they close is an insight intoof the condition of the rest of the body etc. Is there fresh paint on the frame rails etc. Is it from an area in Cali that sees a lot of rain?.

Basically CYA, inspected all the wearable areas, check the rack for groaning etc... And of course negotiate when someone has $6,300 on there you know he is going for six at least. A new seat covers will cost you $400, door panels about $250 combined, maybe you need seat foam, carpet? Start adding all that up b/c once you have the car it is going to become addictive to get it all right away. Maybe a point of negotiation for you is to add all that up, and divide it in half and take that amount off what he is asking...just be friendly and work with him. good luck overall.

Quick Reply: Should I buy it?