5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Need some trouble shooting idea's

Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default Need some trouble shooting idea's

I have the msd dig 6, distributor and coil. I take my car to the car wash today to clean it up a bit. No, i did not open hood. I left my twin fans on by accident while washing car. Needless to say i drained the battery. I get a jump from a guy and it starts right up. Get out of car and car die's and wont start up again. I sprayed under car. I look under there and on left side of tranny is a burnt connector that has two wires. Other side of connector cannot be found. There is also two other wires by themselve's. I connect the wire'sboth ways, still no start. I'm dont think they have anything to do with ign? I traced the dizzy and coil and box wires, no problems. This box is 3 mos old, so still under warr. I had to get towed. I checked for spark and had none. Oh and the engine bay was completely dry. I took cap off to make sure and there was no moisture. Any idea's what problem could be other than it being msd. I know that is very possible but want to try other idea's.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:46 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Need some trouble shooting idea's

go to msd's website and download their troubleshooting instructions for msd 6 series
Old 01-11-2008, 12:47 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

I guess you verified that the dizzy is turning when you crank it over?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:00 AM
greenstreak9205
4th Gear Member

well im pretty sure that it ran when he brought it to the car wash, but damn that would suck if it doesn't now. what a coincidence it would be[&:]
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Stranger things have happened, like a sheared rool pin on the dizzy gear.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

if you have no spark make sure the rotor and cap are all good, then check spark at the coil, if you have no spark at your coil then your coils not getting signal, could be the MSD box, or it could be the ignition module thats bolted onto the distributor (cant think of its name right now its too early) *note these items may seem to be not functioning if theres a short or broken circuit in the system
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lxman1

I guess you verified that the dizzy is turning when you crank it over?
Yea i did that first. I've had no spark before and it was because the gear had broken.

With The dig 6 you will have no voltage to msd coil unless engine is running. I found this out the hard way when my gear shredded another time. I jumped 12 volts to coil from selenoid and fried the dig. box. It is because of capacitive discharge instead of normal inductance discharge. Only have voltage at coil when car is running. I dont drive car very often, but i have noticed on the last few starts it would take longer than normal. I will trouble shoot it some morethis weekend. I was at the car wash for three hours trouble shooting. It could be the box, if it is it's still under warranty. I will get it fixed then sell it to one of my good friends here and get me crane . I have not checked the pick-up inside of dizzy yet, i dont usually carry my multi-meter with me. Maybe i should from now on though. I think the car wash was just coincidense because nothing in engine bay got wet.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:12 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

your gonna get voltage at the coil while cranking sorry i didnt specify that part