5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Talk to me about paint please.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Default Talk to me about paint please.

I was thinking of having my car wetsanded (colorsanded, if you'd prefer) and buffed. I just put a freshly painted bumper on my car, and now the rest of the car looks terrible (whereas, I thought it lookedgreat before). At any rate, I'm pretty good at colorsanding/buffing, myself, so I'd imagine a body shop could do a great job...assuming my paint is ofa type that can be colorsanded. Anyway, to be clear:

1. What type of paint is on my 88 GT? One stage? Base/clear?
2. Can it be colorsanded?
C. My hoodgets this hazy, almost chalky look/feel to it...particularly when it hasn't been waxed lately. Sometimes a little color comes off when I wipe it down too hard. Can I colorsand the hood, or will that destroy it?

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Talk to me about paint please.

I'm assuming it's RED by the picture you have?
If it's a factory paint job the only red with a clear is theBright Red Pearl Metallic Clearcoat
paint code 26/6185.
All the other red colors are single stage.
If you're already getting color or residue when you wipe your hood I wouldn't color sand it.

Old 01-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the info, Almost. Great info. I believe my paint is the Scarlet Red, code 2D or some nonsense. So what can I do to make the paint look a little better...compared to the two stage bumperpaint?
Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
ALMOST STOCK
4th Gear Member

I've got same color 2D Medium Scarlet and with what you're saying about the hood since it take the worst beating from the sun, as much as I hate to say it ; it's just a matter of time before you'll need a complete paint job. Sorry.

I've tried all sort of different magical polishes and waxes with my old paint job and all they did was put some sort of slight protestant with a little gloss that last a very short while before is was gone and I was back to my original paint with the same problem.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Fair enough. And thanks for your candor. I suspect I'll wind up painting the whole car eventually...but probably piece by piece, as I am silly like that. It's just that there's so much good paint on the car. Seriously, I guess I'll just roll it until I have enough money for a complete paint job. The guy that did my bumper said he'd paint my car for $1500, including bodywork--and he appears to do good work. Anyway, thanks for the info.