5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

what to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: what to do next?

well right now im a high school student...and just used teh last of my money getting the x pipe installed today...but so far my parents have been willing to help out with getting stuff for the car...so far its been i buy it they pay for the install or at least help with the install...so right now im just trying to figure out what i should do...buy something cheaper and hope they'll help with the install (the gears ...looking at the ford racing 3.73s on american muscle for 179 then then ive heard its a really expenisive intall) but im also thinking of saving up for something more expensive but im not sure yet...anyoen have any idea how much the explorer intake will cost me , and if you do how much the install would cost also...it would be so much easier if i could install all this stuff on my own...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:59 PM
a89fiveoh

would you just need the upper intake or both top and bottom?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

and right now im going for anythign thats not going to be make the car much less reliable......and also everything else on that car is stock that i know of...besides the radiator and one of the belts...had to get those replaced...and as far as how much money im willing to spend...im not quite sure on that...500 with install is probably a safe bet for now...
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

one of the belts? uh... we only have one belt, but cool

the exploder intake, youll need upper and lower, and junkyard you can find one for 75 bucks, ebay and such their like 200 i think

i think you really need to concider doing the install **** urself, esp stuff like exhaust, its really easy

for 500 heres a few things id do
1. nitrous kit
2. gears
3. drag radials, cheap suspension mods
4. explorer motor out of a junkyard, swap the heads and intake to your car have a spare block too.
5.used nitrous kit, used DRs

you have alot of options

how about you set a 1/4 goal, hp goal, or something like that, and we can go from there

its hard to say wut to do when all weknow is how muchyour gonna spend, and not what you want to do w. the car
Old 01-14-2008, 10:20 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

believe me id love to install it myself but my parents wont let me they think ill hurt myself...or the car...but yeah...right now im probably just looking to get it over 300 total hp before i graduate high school...then decide on mroe after that depending on if i take it to college with me or leave it here until i graduate...and for the track...im not really sure...i dont really know much about track times...heck i dont even know what these cars run stock...but for now im just looking to get my car to a point where my brother backs off about his 2000 GT beign better than mine (which its not it runs like crap but he doesnt listen) ...so out of the two which one would i feel the bigger difference with..the explorer intake or the gears...i know theres no realy hp gain in the gears but...
Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM
robs87fox
2nd Gear Member

gears first

advance timing, made my car feel alot different for awhile untill i got used to it.

and put premium gas 91 oct.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

well you will feel more from the gears. but will not give you any more power. my honest opinion is go for the gears over the explorer intake. my gear install totaled about $560 and i didnt buy the gears before hand. let me see if i can find the list of the cost of everything they did. and getting 300rwhp isnt that easy to do on a tight budget.

here is the breakdown

$22 - Pinion Seal
$10 - Royal Purple 75w/90
$6.50 - Friction Modifier
$75 - Clutch packs
$70 - Posi labor
$105 - Gear Install Labor
$12 - Speedo Gear
$195 - Ford Motorsport 3.73 gears
$20 - Pinion Bearing
$26.43 - Tax

$554.93 - Total
Old 01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

thanks nacanitihs...yeah im probably going with gears..because it looks like im def. going to need those in the future....ha yeah i know im an idiot but what is 91 octane? and im not going for 300 rwhp just 300 normal hp...also would a new MAF or throttle body make a noticeable difference?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:22 PM
a89fiveoh

i wouldnt say IDIOT lol but, 91 octane is the grade of gas ull need if u bump up the timing on the car. ikd where u live but here we have 87 89 and 93 octanes.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:34 PM
roghoge
2nd Gear Member

ehh doesnt look like i can bump my timing then...parents pay for my gas...so that wouldnt make them too happy if i started putting the more expensive gas in it...dont want to start having to pay for gas either....or else i wouldnt be able to get anything done to the car...al of it would be going toward gas...they pay for my gas because im a tennis player and my entire summer spring and most of my winter is consumed by tennis....the only way i even have money to do stuff to my car is my dads paper route i do for him whenever i dont have school