5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Piston To Valve Clerance, Confusing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Piston To Valve Clerance, Confusing?

you'll be fine!! don't stress out to much over something like that..1.6's will do just fine
Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
TTGreenSN95
3rd Gear Member

im thinking if you go with this came and use 1.6 the lift will change
its {.513 I/529 e} right with 1.7 so using a 1.6 is going to knock it down to about .483I .499E

the only thing I would change on my HCI would have to be the cam I would have went with something that would make it idle better!! I used the tfs stage 1 cam and I have idle issues I would have went with one of those steeda cams!

the gt40p heads flow numbers are pretty much the same after .500 lift so .500 is the magic number anything over this lift is not going to help you much. I went with the tfs 1 its .499I .511E right around .500 lift

I havent given my car a decent N/A tune the best I have run is 13.99 N/A with this setup gt40p ,tfs 1 ,rpm intake. 3.73 gear

Hope that helps you some?
Old 01-21-2008, 08:05 PM
URLACHER54
2nd Gear Member

arent the 1.6s what in the stock motor
Old 01-21-2008, 08:55 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

stud mount? you converted your gt40s to that? good job dude, that was a good move... or do you mean the stockers? or do you have aftermarket heads?

as for your cam... relax... its gonna be ok lol

call up some cam companys and see what they suggest
Old 01-22-2008, 08:11 PM
5spd GT
3rd Gear Member

Peak lift is not a factor in piston to valve clearance.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:57 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Why is it that we continue with the valve lift = PtV problems?........LIFT is NOT THE ISSUE...... it's the overlap you have to check for. BUT, you need to check!
Old 01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

If lift has nothing to do with it then why do companies always tell you not to run a cam with over certain amount of lift? Depending on duration/overlap the valve is quite possibly going to be all the way open when the piston is close to the top.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
Hamutoff
3rd Gear Member

WHATEVER YOU DO DONT PUSS OUT check your p to v clearance. go to the hobby store or the craft store get some of that modeling clay that doesnt dry out. I have had mine for about 5 years. just check before you button it up, that way you will know if you are really close or if you have some room. piece of mind, buddy
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

If lift has nothing to do with it then why do companies always tell you not to run a cam with over certain amount of lift? Depending on duration/overlap the valve is quite possibly going to be all the way open when the piston is close to the top.
In error...... that would be something for them to answer however, it is wrong associating total valve lift with PtV problems. If you look at any cam card, total valve lift happens at the Int. Center Line (ICL) or ECL for the exhaust. Their values are given in degrees of crankshaft rotation from TDC, and they are in the 100°+ values. At 100° from TDC (to take the smaller value)..... the piston is down the cylinder >60% of the total stroke.... or >1.8" from the deck...... how would a valve lift of .600" (as an example) cause PtV issues if the piston is >1.8" away from the block deck? You may want to check a better explanation at Piston to valve clearance checking methods

BTW.... during overlap the intake valve is starting to open and the exhaust finishing its closing cycle, so neither will be at total valve lift......
Old 01-23-2008, 01:02 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Joel5.0

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

In error...... that would be something for them to answer however, it is wrong associating total valve lift with PtV problems. If you look at any cam card, total valve lift happens at the Int. Center Line (ICL) or ECL for the exhaust. Their values are given in degrees of crankshaft rotation from TDC, and they are in the 100°+ values. At 100° from TDC (to take the smaller value)..... the piston is down the cylinder >60% of the total stroke.... or >1.8" from the deck...... how would a valve lift of .600" (as an example) cause PtV issues if the piston is >1.8" away from the block deck? You may want to check a better explanation at Piston to valve clearance checking methods

BTW.... during overlap the intake valve is starting to open and the exhaust finishing its closing cycle, so neither will be at total valve lift......
+10 kajillion. Valve timing, not valve lift.

That's why in interference engines if the timing jumps you can smash the valves. Lift is the same, but the timing has been altered, and you get PTV interference(hence the term interference engine).

Quick Reply: Piston To Valve Clerance, Confusing?