5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

HELP New guy

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
midblue91
I ♥ Acer

Default HELP New guy

Look guys, I hope i wont take up much of your time, so im gonna try to make this quick. I had a mildly modded 93 gt, I thought at that time that it was pretty quick, I wanted a trully bad *** mustang so bad that i joined the navy reserve for the 20,000 dollar bonus to get one. Well, i got it...To cut to the chase, its an s-trim, afr head, trick flow cam and intake DSS 306 with a g-force. The guy i bought it from in bowling green, ky gave me all kinds of 11.30, or low 11 time slips...it has a energy supension, with the bag in the passenger sidespring deal, and 275/50 M/T et streets out back on 15 by 10in weld pro stars. I recently got beat on my towns local "BRIDGE", which is almost exactly a quarter mile long by a guy with a fast *** coupe...he is basically full weight, he has a stock bottom end, with systemax heads+intake, who knows what cam..4.30 gears, and the same exact tire i have. I lauched from about 2500 and spun hard..first and second too, i held it long enough not to bog 3rd at all...still, He must have jumped me 4 cars off the line, and i just couldnt catch him by the end of the bridge. We raced on the wayback into town from a roll at about 50, it wasent even a race, I walked the coupe hard... Heres my question, Why does his car hook so much better than mine, is it because i suck at driving in a car like this?...do you guys think he has better suspension? I think i just suck at drag racing, do you guys have any tips for me? Do i just need more tire? Guys, i just dont understand it, by the way the guy with the coupe is a good friend, his car runs 12.20s, mine with the previous owner has ran 11.20s...HELP
Old 01-27-2008, 11:26 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP New guy

whats exactly is done to your suspension?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:33 PM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

A good idea would be writing or calling the guy you bought it from and asking how to properly launch the dam thing. Otherwise, don't give so much throttle when you launch. If you are spinning through second, then you are over accelerating. In my opinion, but i'm no expert.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM
midblue91
I ♥ Acer

yeah, ill give him a call tommorow...but any info on launches you guys could give me would help...im for sure new to a low 11 second car for sure, or a low 13 for that matter....all i know about the suspension is that its energy...another thing i cant do that my buddy can do is a standing burn out, it looks bad ***... i could do it in my old car on 225 street tires, but every time i try to rev this one, and drop the clutch with some brake, it just takes off.... Its not like im a bad driver though...i can drive a cummins dodge 1 ton with a 25 foot pj dual tandem gooseneck loaded with 20,000#s all day and all night no problem, this is just a different kind of driving i guess...like i said, any pointers you guys can give me is a plus...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:01 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

Well you should ask the guy you got it from exact details about your suspension, also, the track is a totally different story than "the bridge", and do you have any idea what your trap speed was on those runs? You probably have a decent 60' but alot can be said from a slip
Old 01-28-2008, 12:06 AM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

Are you doing your burn out in 1st or 2nd? Have you tried powerstalling(holding the brakes while giving near full throttle in 2nd gear)? I don't mean to make you sound like a retard.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:40 AM
midblue91
I ♥ Acer

I guess at the end of the bridge i was trapping 120+ probally, i dont know...i just know i had been i fourth for a bit, and i was pulling on him hard...and i have never tried powerstalling or whatever, its cool man, i dont think your making me sound like an idiot, you probally should be though...im just new to cars this fast, man ill give that a try...60' time would have been real bad though, i know its not the strip, but chris on the same tire absolutly killed me out of the hole...
Old 01-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

it takes a lot of practice to really learn how to launch a car, and you stepped right into one with a lot of power...it will take time to learn and get that "sweet spot" launch
Old 01-28-2008, 01:57 AM
mighty90
2nd Gear Member

Powerstalling is usually reserved for automatics, however can be done in manuals. Instead of burning out in 1st, stop the car, put it into 2nd apply the throttle enough to give your car some rpms so it won't die when you let off the clutch but not enough to make you take off. Drop the clutch and immediately put your foot on the brakes. Apply pressure to the throttle till the back brakes "break" free and you'll be doing your burn out. Too much throttle and your front brakes will break free. Too little, you'll get a weak *** burnout.