5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

OMG WTF!!!!!!still wont start

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 11:08 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

Default OMG WTF!!!!!!still wont start

alright so u have probably seen my other threads about my new motor,well first i couldnt get the fuel pump to turn on, found a wire in my inner fender that wasnt hooked up,solved that problem .

now everything i read points me too a bad ground well just went out and moved the factory ground back to stock location side of timing cover,added another ground from below the alt to the frame.the other 2 grounds injector and the 1 on the firewall are hooked up,the other one on the end of neg. cable is bolted down tight.

i got fuel spark was very little if any at the plugs. then i switched back to my stock coil and same thing.

its funny when key is on u turn the dizzy left to right and back and fuel pump turns on then goes back on like when u hit the key,the coil also sparks from the top of the coil to the bracket holding it. wtf ?

i am runnin out of options and patience? help
Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

Default RE: OMG WTF!!!!!!!!!!WONT START

ignition module. or whatever its called.. the module on the dist.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

u think that is what could be causing my problems it is a msd billet i bought it used from someone thought it would be better than the stock one. the guy says it came off a runnin car

im about to put my stock one back in and see what it does this is really starting to **** me off had this problems for a few days i just want to hear my new motor start up
Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jtmustang

u think that is what could be causing my problems it is a msd billet i bought it used from someone thought it would be better than the stock one. the guy says it came off a runnin car

im about to put my stock one back in and see what it does this is really starting to **** me off had this problems for a few days i just want to hear my new motor start up
dont forget to post up vids...
Old 01-28-2008, 12:08 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

alright well that didnt help put the old dizzy and coil back on and they worked a few weks ago no problems when i took it apart so i dont know wtf?

it only does it when the dizzy is plugged in with both either the stock or the msd? i am losing my hair
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

How old is that unit? I have heard that the older MSD dizzies had problems, which are now "fixed". Everything I have heard about the MSd dizzies has been bad. Some people buy one for the looks and swap in the stock internals. Go back to your stock one, and see how that works
Old 01-28-2008, 12:16 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i did and it has the same effect even put back the old coil instead of new msd coil and all has the same effect

when u move the dizzy to the left it turns on stuff including fuel pump can hear it and also my guage goes up then u turn it back to the right and something clicks again and the coil arcs to the bracket it sits in and once with the msd coil it shocked the sh#t out of me

im lost i think ?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

When the ecm see's a signal from the pick-up in the dizzy, it triggers spark, injector and fuel pump. That is what it is supposed to do.

Have you verified that the dizzy turns when cranking the engine?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:14 AM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

so u are telling me it is suppose to do this? that would be cool and gay to as this part has been screwing with my head for hours
Old 01-28-2008, 04:21 AM
lxman1
4th Gear Member

Yeah, with the key on and the pick-up coil sees the reluctor come by, it tells the TFI module that the engine is turning and to fire the coil, fuel pump and injector. this is why if your engine dies, the fuel pump stops a few seconds later because it is no longer seeing the constant signal and it knows that the engine isn't running.

Quick Reply: OMG WTF!!!!!!still wont start