5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Reason Never Trust Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:05 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Default Reason Never Trust Anyone

...to work on your car.

Ive always done all of my own work on all of my vehicles, and just this once, I brought my car down to the muffler shop where my brother and his friends have been going for some time. I wanted him to weld on my sidepipes(more like 3" side dumps), and put on some additional hangers on the flowtubes and the O/R H pipe.

I was right next to the guy the entire time, showing what I wanted, and making sure he didnt half *** it. When it came to the hangers on the H pipe, he handed it over to his assistant, and told me that Id make him nervous if I watched him. So I sat back in the lounge and waited. 2 min later, I hear scrambling, and look to see the welder splashing water on the spot where he burned thru my floor. I went out and asked what happened, and he assured me everything was ok.

Me knowing welding, I know how goddamn hot it is, and when you burn thru metal, it burns whatever is on the other side of that metal. I look up on the lift into my passenger window, and see smoke billowing out. ****. I climb a supply shelf next to the lift and look inside to see flames almost touching the headliner in my car. I jump into the passenger window of my car and grab a water bottle off the backseat and douse the flames just before they engulfed the entire seat and center console.

So the owner argued that I made the guy nervous thats why he burned my car up. It totaled the pass seat and all carpet on pass side, and toasted a little on the side of the console. Not to mention my CD book.

Im getting money from the guy, you guys think 400$ is fair?

Ill throw up some pics when I take it all out to replace it
Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM
bikeboy587
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Reason Never Trust Anyone

Holy **** that sucks man! your poor car! price of the seat, price of the carpet, price of a new consol, double check your dash and door for damage., price for getting your interior cleaned to get the burn smell out. that is how much they should give you. plus $500 for their stupidity
Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

400 f no!!! get a real estimate from a upholstry shop for the cost of parts and labor as if you were not going to do the repair.. then do the repair yourself and pocket the rest!!! that's what happens alot when fender benders occur.. so why not make them pay for their stupid mistake.......and using the excuse that you made him nervous is a cheap cop out!!! untrained and inexperience caused that!!![:@]
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM
91hatchgt
5th Gear Member

OMG... What about the hole in the floorboard? And what kind of incompetent welder is he that when someone watching makes him nervous? That's a load of BS.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:15 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Damn son! Thats a story. Don't know if 400 is fair. Do some research about what it will cost, and make sure to include labor. Get an estimate from a shop. I would not settle.

Something along those lines happened to me too. Before my mustang I owned an 84 caddy deville. It was constantly in the shop, and after the mechanics thought it was fixed i took it for a test drive. It stalled on me two minutes down the road and wouldn't start back. I called and two mechanics came down to see whats up.

One of them basically climbed in the engine compartment (huge car), pulled the fuel line and told me to crank it. I did and fuel came out the line spilling all over a burning hot header, catching fire.

I have never seen someone rip his shirt off so fast to douse the flames. Very comical looking back, but it could have been bad..
Old 02-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Tberg725
3rd Gear Member

**** that 400$ is no where near fair.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:27 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

take em to court
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

man that sucks... sorry to hear that

and I agree with everyone else, $400 is not fair...

you shouldn't get nervous is someone is watching anyways, how unprofessional is that...
Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

Honestly you could easily get a lot more out of this shop. You could go for everything from interior replacement parts and labor including anything that was damaged and price for a new floor pan that they burned through and parts and labor on that. Just a thought. I would honestly go after the shop because they are responsible, if the guy has to pay the shop can deduct it from his paycheck. The shop in the end is responsible for its employees actions.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:29 AM
x1n54n3x
1st Gear Member

i'm sure the shops got insurance for accidents just like this... but for sure don't settle for only $400

Quick Reply: Reason Never Trust Anyone