5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Delete smog system easy as 1-2-3

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM
93reefblue347AFR
1st Gear Member

Default Delete smog system easy as 1-2-3

whats up, just want to let you guys know that I just deleted my smog system on my 89 GT and its not so hard, and you dont have to buy any aftermarket delete kit or anything. First take off you intake elbow so you can get tothe smog pluming, then get a flat head and loosen the hose clamps on at the smog pump and on the cross over pipe.The cross over pipe runs from the back of thedrivers side head to the back of the passenger side head and then it ends in front of the passenger side fire wall you cant mis it. There is also some vac. lines that run from the thermactor valves to the pluming, all you have to do is unplug them from the pluming and plug the vac. lines. Nextyou take a 1/2 wrench and unbolt the smog crossover that is bloted to the back of you heads, there is only one bolt on each head and if you have a ratcheting wrench it makes the job easy. After the crossover pipe is out take a 3/4 long 9/16 coarse bolt with washer and fill the holes in the cylinder heads so no exhaust leaks out. Next take off your serpentine belt and and go to autozone and get part number 835K6 thats the new shorter belt that will be used, here is a diagram that shows the new way to route you serpentine belt go buy the BLUE diagram http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ps/index.shtml.I it says to use a 84.5= part # 845K6 belt but it was to long when I tryed it so I ended up useing a 83.5= part # 835K6 belt and it was perfect.Only 3 things left to do, you can leave your smog pump on the bracket or take it off if you leave it on its fine it wont get in the way of your new belt. Next go to you upper intake and unbolt the EGR unit off of the EGR space after unbolted take a metal plat and just bolt it in place of the EGR use some silicone to seal it and plug the vac. line that runs to the EGR. One more step, Now if you have the stock H-pipe on the car there is a small pipe that runs from the h-pipe to the smog system all you have to do is cut it any ware and crimp it or do something to seal it off so it dosnt leak. and thats it, sounds like a lot of work but its not at all. It should onlt take about 1 to 2 hours max. Plus im a gear head freak and I look for reasins to get under the hood. One more thing, I have done this to both of my cars my 89GT and my 93GT now when you take off the EGR there is a plug off of you main harness that runs to it. When you take off the EGR the plug will be left unpluged and if that affects the way you car runs you can go on Ebay and buy a dummy plug that plugs into it and tells the computer that everything is ok its like 5 bucks. Now your car will run off of pure fresh fuel all the time no more recycled fuel from your exhaust. Hope I explained everything ok its my first post telling you guys how to do something
Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Delete smog system easy as 1-2-3

can i reuse the bolts from the crossover pipe ?
also the previous owner left that pipe and just put a cap on it ... is it ok to leave it like that or does it have to be blocked off at the head ? will leaving it like that affect the way the car runs ???
i had these layin around are they the right plugs i thought thats what they were for lol
Old 02-16-2008, 08:19 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

there is a ghetto way to plug up the back of the heads too, to answer your question...no it won't hurt to just cap them

but anyway...if you take the ends of the "y" pipe...hack saw them off, then flip them over...use on the opposite head.

use some rtv, and you can block them off that way w/ the existing bolts.

the thermactor plugs usually won't go in very good...they are all gunked up threads...i always end up using rtv on them too
Old 02-16-2008, 08:22 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

ok i didnt get the pipe thing at all lol .. when i remove the pipe from the 2 heads will anything leak out ?
Old 02-16-2008, 09:36 AM
joeymustang
2nd Gear Member

nothing will leak out...only gases pass through there...you can go to your parts shop and buy two screws that will fit in there...i did that but it was such a long time i dont remember the size
Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
93reefblue347AFR
1st Gear Member

If you are talking about the size of the bolt to go in the head it is 9/16 coarse, and the bolts that come out of the head that hold the cross pipe on are not the holes you will be filling with the 9/16 bolt. But yes you can leave the cross pipe on and just plug it or cap it or something but I would do it the right way and use the 9/16 bolt. If that is what you guys are even talking about.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 93reefblue347AFR

If you are talking about the size of the bolt to go in the head it is 9/16 coarse, and the bolts that come out of the head that hold the cross pipe on are not the holes you will be filling with the 9/16 bolt. But yes you can leave the cross pipe on and just plug it or cap it or something but I would do it the right way and use the 9/16 bolt. If that is what you guys are even talking about.
this thread would be all the more awesome.... if your thread size was right...

it takes a 5/8-11 bolt to plug the back of the heads
Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 AM
93reefblue347AFR
1st Gear Member

You know you have a good point AdderMk2, On other forums befor I did the delete they said it was a 5/8 bolt with an 11 pitch and it is a 5/8 11 pitch on my AFR 185cc heads on my 93GT, so befor I did any that to my stock 89GT I went to the shop and got some 5/8 11 and its wasn't it it was a 9/16 on my 89GT with stock heads.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:52 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: 93reefblue347AFR

You know you have a good point AdderMk2, On other forums befor I did the delete they said it was a 5/8 bolt with an 11 pitch and it is a 5/8 11 pitch on my AFR 185cc heads on my 93GT, so befor I did any that to my stock 89GT I went to the shop and got some 5/8 11 and its wasn't it it was a 9/16 on my 89GT with stock heads.
i can assure you that ALL heads use a 5/8-11 thread

perhaps the threads in your heads were clogged with carbon and you THOUGHT 9/16 was right... but I know for a FACT that its 5/8-11
Old 02-19-2008, 10:49 AM
93reefblue347AFR
1st Gear Member

Well thats funny because I cleaned the carbon out of my heads because it wouldnt thread in when it had build up. And yea.. 5/8 didn't happen. 9/16 threaded right in and it wasnt sloppy. I know when I have the right thread size.

Quick Reply: Delete smog system easy as 1-2-3