5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Patriot Heads Valvetrain

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:31 PM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

Default Patriot Heads Valvetrain

Ok, i know the heads are not that great, done sunk 850 in them and probably cant get rid of them, so not using these heads is not an option. So im going to upgrade the parts on these heads and make them as good as possible without spending more then i originally would on afrs or other brand names. I have a buddy thats going to work on the heads, valve job and blend it all in, mill them 5 thousandths to make sure they are flat, was going to have them gasket matched but i think im going to have him do a little more then that. Hes giving me a good price so thats the route im going to go. I want to upgrade the valve train on the heads. I heard the valves dont seal vary good and the springs are trash. So whats the stuff i need to get. Is there a kit where i can get everything or should i buy everything seperate. Also if anyone knows what springs i should use. I know i need springs, locks, retainers, but what else do i need. The cam will be a comp cams 274hr, i think lift is .555 or so on both so the springs need to be good for about .575 or so. Parts numbers will be nice also. I think the installed height of the springs on them heads are 1.8. Another thing would be i looked on jegs for afr rocker studs but i didnt see 3/8th for sbf. Thx
Old 02-18-2008, 12:41 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Patriot Heads Valvetrain

https://mustangforums.com/m_4628352/...tm.htm#4637617
Old 02-18-2008, 12:55 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

call comp, find out what kinda spring pressure that cam wants. im betting the 130 lbs of seat pressure these springs are supposed to have will be fine.

i looked over that review of the heads again, and i found there were pictures of heads that WERENT all hacked up that seem to have gone missing. as cast these heads should work fine, but with minimal blending (even just "machine porting" on a serdi machine) they would flow very nice especially for the price.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

Yea ive already seen a couple of builds where they put 350rwhp and thats what im shooting for. I just dont want to keep the valvetrain components cause there has been problems. White94s car was dropping power off at 4800 rpms cause of the springs.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

oh and btw, my heads look nothing like the heads that were in that forum that ed curtis posted. My heads dont have no heavy machine marks and stuff like that. I think the heads are a hit or miss whether you get a good set or not.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:37 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

not a risk i would want to take with 900 bucks. regardless, i hope they work out well for you
Old 02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

Yea i wouldnt recommend the heads to anyone. If i could get my money back i would. I still dont think the heads will turn out that bad with a little work.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

so you say the heads look fine, but you still feel like you wasted your money? i dunno man, to me it doesnt make much sense. they "claim" they are getting their springs and valves from the same companies many other manufacturers are, and i do know for a fact that ALOT of the stuff we all hold in good regards comes from south america which is where they said their stuff was coming from.

if someones build was being held back @ 4800 due to springs, their cam needed stiffer springs regardless - it wasnt because those springs happened to be poor quality.

i just see alot of bad info floating around, and alot of bandwagon jumping and pitchfork grabbing when the reality is there is nothing actually wrong with what you have. when you hear about someone dropping or sticking a valve, or snapping a valve spring then come talk to me, but i have yet to hear anyone having ANY problems with these heads in terms of part failure. also, there is a thread linked from that ed curtis review where the patriot guy came in and said they have added an extra QC person and replaced their shop supervisor within the past month or so.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 PM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

My heads dont look bad as those, i was going by the flow numbers of there heads. I wont know if I like them or not, im just saying until the heads are proven to make good power and flow numbers, i would wait and see before i bought them.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:18 AM
bigap15
1st Gear Member

After reading the post about the patriot heads and how rough they were, i decided to go home and look over my heads really good. On both heads on the exhaust side, there is a heavy machine mark, but its away from the port so i know it will still seal up good. That was the only bad thing i found about my heads. I found a couple of bumps in the exhaust and intake ports that need to be taken out but other then that the heads look like they will flow good. I can stick 3 fingers in the intake ports and touch the valve. All of my rocker studs were straight, none were crooked or anything like the heads in that post. If i would have looked at that post before i bought my heads i wouldnt have bought them, But if i looked at that post and the heads were in the same shape as mine i would have bought them. I think that post ed curtis posted is a little misleading.