5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Bolt On's or H/C/I first

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:25 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bolt On's or H/C/I first

I would do the h/c/i along with the bolt ons, get everything done and then get a tune.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Neither will work great with out the other. Getting it all done at once is expensive. If your budget doesn't allow everything at one time. There is nothing wrong with going ahead and doing simple bolt on's till you get the green for the meat. As said earlier, if i could not do it all at once i would work on suspension and just buy the simple bolt ons and keep them untill you have the h/c/i then install all at once.

Example of bolt on performance:

Me and a buddy had pretty much stock stangs. We both had MA, UDP, cone filter, TB, Shorty's with h-pipe and stocksuspension.Only difference was he had an f-cam with stock valve train[:'(]. On sh!tty tires he ran a best of 13.99. I ran a best of 14.2 (he was a better driver). He installed a performer rpm 2 intake and and the best time he could get was a 14.4. With proper suspension and good tires we both could have been a few tenth's quicker.
Old 02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Stella94GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Neither will work great with out the other. Getting it all done at once is expensive. If your budget doesn't allow everything at one time. There is nothing wrong with going ahead and doing simple bolt on's till you get the green for the meat. As said earlier, if i could not do it all at once i would work on suspension and just buy the simple bolt ons and keep them untill you have the h/c/i then install all at once.

Me and a buddy had pretty much stock stangs. We both had MA, UDP, cone filter, TB, Shorty's with h-pipe and stocksuspension.Only difference was he had an f-cam with stock valve train[:'(]. On sh!tty tires he ran a best of 13.99. I ran a best of 14.2 (he was a better driver). He installed a performer rpm 2 intake and and the best time he could get was a 14.4. With proper suspension and good tires we both could have been a few tenth's quicker.
So wait, he ran slower with the intake? of did you mean 14.99 insead of 13.99.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

maybe to much power for the suspension??? or maybe the rpm range was not efficiant???
Old 02-21-2008, 10:32 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stella94GT

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

So wait, he ran slower with the intake? of did you mean 14.99 insead of 13.99.
No it was no typo. With his f-cam installed he ran a best of 13.99. When he put the intake on the best time he could get was 14.4 Just another classic case of an intake make for an engine that should have a good set of heads but dont, resulting in slower et's. It wasnt just bad driving either. His trap speed was also slower after intake install.