5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

need to upgrade my braking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 11:21 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default need to upgrade my braking

hey guys, I'm planning on getting some svo calipers and some of the stainless steal caliper sleaves from maximum motorsports. has anyone done a combo similar to this and if so how did it come out compaired to stock? I know its a really cheep way of upgrading the front brakes compaired to aftermarket calipers and rotors.
If anyone has tried this and it helped or didn't make any difference then please let me know, also if there are any tips on doing this let me know

something else is I live in an extremely slanted area, even my driveway is probably about 50 long and slants about 25 feet higher than the street at the top. my problem is that my emergency brake sucks. I know it probably shouldn't be intended for my area but still my e brake does almost nothing and I don't think it is that it needs to be tightened because there is a lot of force agenst the handle. I dont know much about brakes but does anyone know of something I can do or fix to make the e brake hold my car? I leave my car in gear and that makes it stay in one spot but just to make sure I almost alwayse chock the tires. I haven't ever had the car move while it was in gear but I'm guessing it would be bad on something alwayse having strain on holding the car in gear.

Thanks for any advice or help in advance.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need to upgrade my braking

bump, anyone know about brakes?
Old 02-25-2008, 02:04 PM
ryan_89_mustang
4th Gear Member

Your rear shoes may be wore it doesn't always have to be a e-brake cable. You may not notice bad rear brakes with normal driving because fronts do most of the braking. I usualy do both put my handbrake on and put it in gear just incase, I usualy get mad at my friend when he puts his in neutral and just uses a handbrake.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Albizo66
4th Gear Member

as far as i know, no damage can be done by putting it in gear to hold it...every single person i know that drives stick puts it in gear when they park, and puts up the e-brake..and a few, myself included, only use the gear..my e-brake is bad and im too lazy to look into it..i have to pull it WAY WAY up to get it to hold
Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

I recently had my rear brake shoes replaced and the E brake tightened but it still doesent hold my car. any input on my first question ?
Old 02-25-2008, 04:09 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

I'm going with turbo coupe rear
Old 02-25-2008, 04:41 PM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

turbo cupe brakes as in the svo calipers I'm asking about?
Old 02-25-2008, 08:04 PM
zeekstr
2nd Gear Member

http://www.sn95brakes.com/4lug.php

Also, get some of those nifty brake bleeders and put in some good brake fluid.
Get calipers for a Lincoln Mark VII which are 73mm. They should be the same size
as SVO
Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 AM
pk222
3rd Gear Member

have you done the swap yourself? if so was there much of a difference?
thanks for the link that helped a lot.
still I haven't heard anything from anyone that has actually done this to see if it is even worth it? before doing all this work I want to see if anyone has done this and felt a difference enough to do all the work.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Just out of curiosity, did you try adjusting the rear brakes with a brake spoon? My ebrake wouldn't hold anything, I just adjusted the rear brakes and I was good to go.

Quick Reply: need to upgrade my braking