5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Explorer Tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:49 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Explorer Tranny??

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

Be patient with me. The only time i've had a transfer case is in a four wheel drive. My f-250 has one, my silverado had one. Is this four wheel drive or all wheel drive? I'm not doubting you guys at all, i'm trying to learn something about this vehicle.
Me too I didn't know that was the transfer case.....I bought both my Explorers brand new and netiher had any problems that caused me to stick my head under there

My only experience with working on cars is with my last 2 Mustangs

BTW, It is 4-Wheel Drive....
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: CantStopTheFox...

I'll get under there tomorrow morning.....it is too dark outside

But that slamming in gear is a sign of low fluid?? I always had manuals and never felt anything like this in an automatic

I tell you, when it is in park standing still, I will put in in reverse, and it feels like the tranny is going to be laying in the street the way it slams in [:@]
could be a sign of low fluid or a internal prob..but start easy...besides if you aren't gonna do anymore checking until tommorrow..I'll check on ALLDATA for you and see if there is a service procedure..just PM ME
Definitely.........Thanks!!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Be patient with me. The only time i've had a transfer case is in a four wheel drive. My f-250 has one, my silverado had one. Is this four wheel drive or all wheel drive? I'm not doubting you guys at all, i'm trying to learn something about this vehicle.
Me too I didn't know that was the transfer case.....I bought both my Explorers brand new and netiher had any problems that caused me to stick my head under there

OK that makes sense to me now. I did not just assume it was and when you did not say it was i just figured it wasnt.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:59 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

OK that makes sense to me now. I did not just assume it was and when you did not say it was i just figured it wasnt.
Speaking of 4-wheel Drive, Do you think that the 4-wheel drive can be causing the slamming into gear???
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

If the actuator switch has malfunctioned it could cause that. Put it up on stands and see if the front wheels spinwhen you put it in gear.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

If the actuator switch has malfunctioned it could cause that. Put it up on stands and see if the front wheels spinwhen you put it in gear.
That makes sense......but I tell you, rolling the car through gears on Jackstands out in the driveway just sounds DANGEROUS