5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Full 5.0 Tune Up.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Full 5.0 Tune Up.

ok guys i bought all the stuff, the only thing i decided not to do is go with the k&n air filter, i went with a fram. Only because they were out of stock all over, and i didnt want to wait to get one because im going to splurge and grab a CAI. I also got a pvc valve, added to that list.

However, when i had autozone run the codes i got some pretty bad codes, one of them being maf related. Here were the codes.

CODES
84 *got this twice* Egr vent shut off or vacuum regulator failure

egr closed

maf voltage below minimum

air/fuel mixture

Now this is the first time i have ever gotten the maf sensor code, ive had the egr valve code and the air/fuel code before in the past. I sprayed my maf down with some maf cleaner, and my idle straightened out a little bit smoother, feels better overall, but i dont know if it solved the problem. After the tune up im going to run back up there and have them run the codes again and see if the maf one pops up. If it does i will be bumping up to a 24lb maf and new 24lb injectors and a new throttle body.

QUESTION.
Should i really fix these egr valve issues. The guy said i would need the following.

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Duralast 25.99

EGR Valve Duralast 82.99

EGR Position Sensor 28.99

Should I grab these things, how much do you think a mechanic would charge, and can they effect fuel economy?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

there is no reason that you can't do ALL of this work yourself
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

hmmm remember i broke my back in 3 different places?? I had 2 spinal surgeries etc, i cant lift anything over 5 lbs, well atleast im not supposed to etc. In general its a pain in the *** for me to bend my back. So the question isnt, oh should i have a mechanic do the work for me who does it really well, who does it cheap, whose a friend and needs the money, the question is should i fix the egr stuff or is it no biggy?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: 92cobra

ok guys i bought all the stuff, the only thing i decided not to do is go with the k&n air filter, i went with a fram. Only because they were out of stock all over, and i didnt want to wait to get one because im going to splurge and grab a CAI. I also got a pvc valve, added to that list.

However, when i had autozone run the codes i got some pretty bad codes, one of them being maf related. Here were the codes.

CODES
84 *got this twice* Egr vent shut off or vacuum regulator failure

egr closed

maf voltage below minimum

air/fuel mixture

Now this is the first time i have ever gotten the maf sensor code, ive had the egr valve code and the air/fuel code before in the past. I sprayed my maf down with some maf cleaner, and my idle straightened out a little bit smoother, feels better overall, but i dont know if it solved the problem. After the tune up im going to run back up there and have them run the codes again and see if the maf one pops up. If it does i will be bumping up to a 24lb maf and new 24lb injectors and a new throttle body.

QUESTION.
Should i really fix these egr valve issues. The guy said i would need the following.

EGR Vacuum Solenoid Duralast 25.99

EGR Valve Duralast 82.99

EGR Position Sensor 28.99

Should I grab these things, how much do you think a mechanic would charge, and can they effect fuel economy?

Thanks guys!

bwahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!![sm=happy046.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]yeah so you get an egr code and the parts counter guy says you need every part realated to the egr to fix it..damn I'm in the wrong bussiness!!! always wondered how autozone made money....guess it's cheaper to throw all new parts on the properly troubleshoot it.....hmmmmmmmm wonder what happens when a egr passage is plugged full of carbon and all those parts still don't fix it[&:]..at least they got your money right???
Old 02-28-2008, 01:50 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

mjr ive got a credit card but i needed the tune up to be done today specifically, with the back being broken and all i decided just to have my mechanic do it for me. Im taking a short trip up to wisconsin and need to make sure its in tip top shape.

Soon im going to be totally rebuilding this car, but i would like to get all the "kinks" worked out first. My question is though, what should i do about the codes? Im going to rerun the codes since i believe the maf is fine, i think that was random, but maybe it is bad. Either way, what do i do with the egr valve codes?? Fix them, or is it irrelevant.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

mjr ive got a credit card but i needed the tune up to be done today specifically, with the back being broken and all i decided just to have my mechanic do it for me. Im taking a short trip up to wisconsin and need to make sure its in tip top shape.

Soon im going to be totally rebuilding this car, but i would like to get all the "kinks" worked out first. My question is though, what should i do about the codes? Im going to rerun the codes since i believe the maf is fine, i think that was random, but maybe it is bad. Either way, what do i do with the egr valve codes?? Fix them, or is it irrelevant.
clear codes and if they come back have your mechanic troubleshoot them
Old 02-28-2008, 02:02 PM
92cobra
4th Gear Member

sounds good except my mechanic doesnt have an obd1 scanner, and every place around here charges 70 bucks for diagnostics, i might as well buy one part at a time and have them change it until the code goes away lol.

To clear the codes dont i just need to disconnect the battery for like 15minutes?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:10 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

sounds good except my mechanic doesnt have an obd1 scanner, and every place around here charges 70 bucks for diagnostics, i might as well buy one part at a time and have them change it until the code goes away lol.

To clear the codes dont i just need to disconnect the battery for like 15minutes?
you can do that but it also clears the KAM IN THE ECM AND MAY HAVE TO LET CAR RELEARN DRIVABILITY CHARACTERISTICS SUCH AS IDLE..BUT NOTHING A LITTLE DRIVING WON'T CURE
Old 02-28-2008, 04:01 PM
gearbanger
4th Gear Member

SEA FOAM that bitch lol
Old 02-29-2008, 04:58 AM
officer4c13
1st Gear Member

that sea foam stuf worked good on my car, i ran it in the gas and oil but my car sat for 3 years before i drove it so it need cleand out. runs good now.