5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 05:00 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

If you notice in one of the hood pics, there's a garden hose in it

My paint is actually a 4:1 mix, no reducer. But there are different speed activators. I'm If I move faster I actually get worse orange peel. I think it's just the gun isn't getting enough air and the paint isn't atomizing well enough. I'm considering getting a 60 gallon Campbell hausfeld from Sutherlands. It puts out 11ish cfm at 40 psi which is enough for my gun.

Holister, whatever happened to your car? Did you ever rebuild it after the tree (was a tree right?)? Haven't seen any posts from you for a while.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well good luck getting the paint figured out. It should look really good in black, I was torn between black, orange, and blue when I had mine painted.

My Mustang is currently tucked away in hiding in the corner of my garage. It's basically just a shell right now collecting dust. I'm hoping to start working on it by summer if I can find a decent job. Been busy finishing up a couple other projects and don't really want to start building the Mustang till I can go all in.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 AM
ProTrickVic
2nd Gear Member

just wanted you to know its not the compressor, your technique is all jacked up. this is a project i'm working on and my dual stage compressor took a dump during the primer stage. so i've had to paint everything with a little 30 gal 9.0cfm@40psi husky air compressor becuase i'm took broke to fix my compressor until i sell this project. i havent even did a final wet sand and buff yet so even the clear is a little orange peel-ish.

you need to adjust your gun before you spray becuase it just looks like you're letting it spit globs of paint all over.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:11 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I might try turning in the fluid **** a bit. Guys over on an autobody site said your fluid **** should be out all the way, and adjust the air accordingly though. How much air does your gun require? Mine requires 9 CFM @ 50 and my compressor only puts out about 8.2 @ 40 I know it's frowned upon, but I'm using fisheye eliminator too which in the tech sheet says basically the more you use, the more orange peel you get. That could be part of it, but I couldn't see it affecting it that much.

Truck looks good.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Well, I turned in the fluid **** until it started to move the trigger. From there I moved it in 1 1/4 turns and it's spraying much better. I also upped my pressure to where it's around 60psi trigger pulled.

This is on a twisted fender, using it as practice now. I really wish I would of done this first but I didn't want to waste paint. Instead I wasted time..

And what looks like major runs on top, it's the primer. I had a little left in my cup a while back and laid what was left heavy on this old fender. I did get a few runs, but I think it's just down to moving too slow and I was using a slow activator in 57F weather. I'm going to sand this stuff down with the DA and mix up just a little more paint and give it another go. I think I've almost got it down good enough to shoot the body. Just gotta check and see how it lays out moving faster.

Last edited by Five0hFox; 10-28-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:30 AM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Be sure to throw up some progress/completion pictures. From what I can see in the picture it looks a hell of a lot smoother.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Explosive

Hows that paint coming ?
Old 11-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I haven't sprayed the rest of it yet. I've been busy and I'm getting better fans and some paint booth exhaust filters so I can have a few fans pulling air out too. I definitely needed better airflow when I painted the hood and fenders. After I sprayed the above fender for practice, I tried one more time to eliminate the runs that I got (they weren't bad) and it had more orange peel. So, I sanded it again and I reduced my paint a little (mixed 4:1:1/2 as the white matrix calls for a 4:1:1 so I thought why not try) and what do you know, it sprayed out much smoother. I'm hoping I'll spray the rest on the 13th or 16th.

Then I get to spend about another $1500 in parts. All new weather stripping, t-top locks, headliner, possibly door panels, rear bumper (thinking cobra, I have the grill insert already), door moldings, window belts, a few interior pieces, lightly smoked LX tails, and I'm probably missing something off my list haha. Also, since I need 2 new tires on the car and I don't care for the rims, I'm thinking 5 lug swap using 94-95 spindles (might upgrade to the 99 brakes if it doesn't require much modification which I understand it doesn't) and bulletts (haven't decided color, maybe black with polished lip) 17x8 with 245/45/17 in the front and 17x9 with 275/40/17 in the rear.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

I never posted pictures of how bad the cowl was that I repaired. I'm guessing the hood flew up at one point. Both sides were pretty bad.

It has that dip in it, had about an inch of bondo in the deepest part and it was cracking. Didn't notice until after I bought the car.

Pulled up as good as I could before welding and filler. I've got a bad feeling I'm going to have issues there within a few years though...

Old 11-17-2011, 11:56 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Haven't had a chance to paint the rest of it yet. Should be this weekend because it will most likely be the last chance I have until who knows when. When the who knows when day comes I'll be painting the plastic pieces most likely.

Also, I've found some 94-95 spindles for $50 each. Is that a good price?

Quick Reply: 88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*