5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Actually no before this all I had ever done was change a water pump and change sparkplugs and oil. Now I've taken all of my interior out, pulled an engine/transmission, and done all of the body work. I've actually gotten pretty good at shaping bondo, I've had to redo a lot of the work that I did at first because of screw ups. It takes a lot of patience and practice. I've gotten discouraged and stopped working on it some but I'm getting close and really pushing to finish it now. And yes, I'm in college now amd work a lot so it's still slow progress.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:57 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Five0hFox
Actually no before this all I had ever done was change a water pump and change sparkplugs and oil. Now I've taken all of my interior out, pulled an engine/transmission, and done all of the body work. I've actually gotten pretty good at shaping bondo, I've had to redo a lot of the work that I did at first because of screw ups. It takes a lot of patience and practice. I've gotten discouraged and stopped working on it some but I'm getting close and really pushing to finish it now. And yes, I'm in college now amd work a lot so it's still slow progress.
Hey man nice work.. Just realized something. we both started working on our stangs at the same time and are both about the same spot today.. ha
Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 86_GT_Mustang
Hey man nice work.. Just realized something. we both started working on our stangs at the same time and are both about the same spot today.. ha
Haha, I really didn't think anyone has ever worked as slow as I have on this thing! I really need to light a fire under my *** and just get out there and get it done. It's coming along though, I've got most of it wet sanded and within a month I should start shooting panels. My air compressor isn't big enough to shoot the car at once so one day I'll do doors, next day fenders, then hood, ect. I also think it will be easier for me to do a good job since I won't be rushing to get it all done because my arm is getting tired haha. Do you have a progress thread for your car?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:58 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Long time no update. Progress has been slow as always with school and work. Also picked up a few other projects that I had been working on.

Anyways, I got around to spraying the hood and fenders. However, I ****ed up. Didn't have the gun adjusted quite right and when trying to spray it heavier to get the OP to lay out, I got some terrible sags/ and runs. I'm currently sanding it all down to shoot another 2 or 3 coats onto it.

This is my fender, it's not as bad as the hood. Couldn't really get the run to show up well. You can kind of see it in this picture.

Wave here

As you can see, tops of the fenders turned out decent. Not perfectly flat but much better than the rest..

Makeshift paintbooth, going to change from an HVAC fan blowing in to 2 or 3 cheap box fans with filters.

Last edited by Five0hFox; 10-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:43 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Update: I resprayed the hood and fenders finally. I got a few runs, nothing compared to what I had before. It also went on smoother except for some OP in the middle of the hood. I also sprayed at night (big mistake) and had some bugs land in the paint. This time it's smooth enough I'm going to knock the imperfections down with 1000 grit, hit it with 1500, then 2000 and buff. Should turn out good.

I'm thinking the cause of my orange peel and not being able to get it to lay flat is the fish eye eliminator. It says it can effect flow out on the tech sheet. I was using slow activator and the paint has a medium binder in it. I figure that's probably good up to 80-85 degrees I guess, it was in the 70's when I sprayed. Also doesn't help my compressor is a little small for my gun, about .5-1 CFM short of what I'm suppose to have.

Will get new pictures up soon. (all though not really different that the ones above)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:46 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need a bigger compressor
Old 10-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mjr46
you need a bigger compressor
Yeah, it's somewhere between .5-1 CFM lower than what I need.... Using my dads compressor. I was considering picking up the 60 gal Craftsman compressor at Sears (11.3 SCFM @90PSI) because I have $100 in Sears gift cards but after seeing reviews, I don't know if it's worth the money.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

There are some dots all over all panels I sprayed, I'm guessing it's dust. Last time I sprayed I set my booth up the day before so any dust had time to settle. This time I set it up and then sprayed, I think that was a mistake.

Here's part of the hood that came out fairly smooth. You can see it didn't lay out perfect obviously. I was hoping for it to lay flatter with it being cooler, which it did, just not as much as I had hoped it would. (As people on here suggested, it's an air supply issue.)

Orange peel in the middle of the hood, eeeek

I got a slight wave in the hood, which I believe I was trying to picture here. Not really sure lol

Some orange peel at the front of the hood, and a run. Nothing compared to the first time.

A sag in the fender, but it did lay pretty smooth (compared to the hood or the first time) as you can see by the reflection of the light.

Slight run and orange peel in the other fender

All in all though, I'm much happier with these results than last time. I think I should be able to sand it all out and buff it.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM
eb2gt
2nd Gear Member

A couple of suggestions along with a bigger compressor.
To end your dust problem= wet the floor down just before you spray. This will keep dust down.
Try backing off from surface more and move a little faster to prevent paint sags and runs, you are laying to much paint down in one spot. this tells me you are not moving your gun fast enough. PLUS spray lighter coats, use a hotter flash thinner.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

+1 on bigger compressor, and wetting the floor.

Sand the bajesus out of that, and see how it turns out. I like the black however.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 88 GT TTops Project Thread *pics*