5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

should i buy this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Default RE: should i buy this?

If it runs, feels strong and no weird engine noises it's probably all work you could figure out on your own. I learned a lot about my first car. Things like water pump, struts brakes. All common things that are easy enough to figure out with a bit of help.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:08 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FASTBLACK

The conversion's always scare me unless i know who did it. There is a reason it has sat for two years, ask him why but dont expect him to be truthful. If the body is not solid i would not even consider buying it. Be patient when looking for a car, i'm 36 and in my younger years have rushed into buying something cheap to find out later that after all the money i put into it to get it right i could have bought something alot nicer for less money.
Great advise! I kinda rushed into buying my 5.0...

It is my 1st car, i will be 17 on the 13th

I have a lot more work than i ever expected on my stang,[:@] i overlooked a lot of stuff mainly because i was dying to have a 5.0

My car looks decent in pictures, but it needs tons of work!!!

When you check the car out in person... TAKE YOUR TIME AND ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CAR!!!

I would ask him why it sat for 2 years.... and if he started it up regulary while it sat or if it was just abandoned....

Thats about all the advice i can think of off the top of my head right now.

Goodluck...
Old 03-10-2008, 05:09 AM
gregamuffin
1st Gear Member

thanks hollister, its good to know im not the only young guy here haha and btw i love how clean your fox looks
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
86_GT_Mustang
5th Gear Member

Yea i rushed in to my 5.0 also. 17 right now got it when i was 16 and i prob should have waited but oh well
Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86_GT_Mustang

Yea i rushed in to my 5.0 also. 17 right now got it when i was 16 and i prob should have waited but oh well
I rushed into my first mustang, which I got for a mere 900 bucks... only it was a v6... and the t-top is still currently a project... I just hate not having money and time...

now the vert.... I was patient and looked around and came across it for a good deal, just in the knick of time too as my old falling apart DD gave up the ghost 2 weeks later
Old 03-11-2008, 11:48 AM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

ur not the only young one lol...but ya just go thru check everything....i lookd at quite a few before i bought mine...one the tranny slipped...another the rear end leaked....and one looked great i almost bought it..then started looking and front core support had been hit, bent back, and re-welded..and not professionally either...got to looking and u could see the tape marks from where almost the whole car had been repainted...so left that one alone...just take ur time...make sure its what u want..cuz u'll probably have it for quite a while
Old 03-11-2008, 06:59 PM
gregamuffin
1st Gear Member

haha thanks for all your help guys, ill let you knwo what happens
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I got lucky when I bought mine, I was 17 and Im 18 now. I got it off of a kid's grandma that I knew. I never even test drove it before I bought it, since it was uninsured. But other than stuff I was planning on, nothing too major has gone wrong that I haven't been able to work on myself.

BTW Hollister, whats all wrong with yours? It looks really nice in the pics.. Could use a GT front bumper tho :P
Old 03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Ummm, well... my paint is horrible. orange peel everywhere... which doesnt bother me cause i can wetsand and buff it out, but its also chipping now....

My engine is now knocking pretty bad.... so i need to rebuild it, but i don't have the funds and it burns oil like crazy, about 2 quarts every month...

the front bumper, i have a Gt bumper, i just need the cobra grille.. i want the cobra look

other than that nothing to bad... the interior is in decent shape, could use new seat covers...

i still love it though haha

i was driving it earlier and saw a terminator cobra, who actually turned around and followed me 3 miles to say he liked my car.... i was drooling over his though, Kenne bell supercharged, with full bassani exhaust, wow it sounded amazing.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hollister Hoodlum

Ummm, well... my paint is horrible. orange peel everywhere... which doesnt bother me cause i can wetsand and buff it out, but its also chipping now....

My engine is now knocking pretty bad.... so i need to rebuild it, but i don't have the funds and it burns oil like crazy, about 2 quarts every month...

the front bumper, i have a Gt bumper, i just need the cobra grille.. i want the cobra look

other than that nothing to bad... the interior is in decent shape, could use new seat covers...

i still love it though haha

i was driving it earlier and saw a terminator cobra, who actually turned around and followed me 3 miles to say he liked my car.... i was drooling over his though, Kenne bell supercharged, with full bassani exhaust, wow it sounded amazing.
Maybe the guy own's a tow truck company and thought he could get your business by calling one of his drivers when you broke down .

Quick Reply: should i buy this?