5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Launching on Streets

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 AM
jjw88mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Launching on Streets

Hey i am planning on making a trip to the track in april and as much as i would like to get some d/rs i just dont think i will have the funds by then, and was wondering how you guys would suggest launching on street tires?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:25 AM
FuzzyDiceRule
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Launching on Streets

i dont know much about launching and all that, but ive gotten good launches by having it at about 1500 and letting off the clutch and giving it more gas as it engages

but im sure someone will give much better advice
Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

You have to play around with it. I wouldnt suggest anything over 2500. Slip the clutch in and out as you feel the car gain and lose traction. DO NOT do a burnout. Street tires tend to get more slippery when they heat up. All you need to do is give the tires a quick spin to know off the rocks and other crap. Do yourself and others a favor by going around the waterbox. Water will buildup in the treads of street tires and even the smallest puddle will send tires up in smoke at the tree.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 AM
jjw88mustang
2nd Gear Member

yeah i have been to the track once before but with a 2.66 60' i definitely need some tips.....granted the tires were pretty bald i know a lot of it was me so i am willing to try anything
Old 03-11-2008, 06:17 AM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Rajun is pretty much right on the money. With 4.10 gears i'd almost think 2500 will be too high but you just have to play around with it and see what works best for your car. Just keep in mind a bog is better than a burnout off the line (esp with 4.10s) so you're better off being a lil conservative to start and see what works best.
Old 03-11-2008, 10:50 AM
bighungrymatt
5th Gear Member

just drive like you are leaving fast from a red light
Old 03-11-2008, 10:53 AM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

i wouldnt do more than 2k with street tires. your gonna be hard pressed to cut a decent 60' on those as it is, dont outlaunch there capabilities.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
jjw88mustang
2nd Gear Member

I also have a line lock on my car would that be beneficial anyway for the start or are those basically for the box only?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM
HYPEracing
2nd Gear Member

first start in your drive way, with some water, and a dry spot.

1. spray a spot of water on the ground like a burn out box, drive through (rear tires only) and drive out the other side.
2. Look at the pattern left on the ground.
3. Adjust tire pressure and repeat until you have the best (widest and even) contact patch, and remember that tire pressure.

If your tires are the right size for the rim its usually 24~28 psi. This will get you started, after you have the tire pressure right, then its just feel. I have had lots of street races, and track races on street tires. Short burn outs are usually the best, just to clean them off, and get a tiny bit of heat into them.

When you stage, make sure you are just breaking the stage beam, dont roll past it even a little once the light comes on. This will give you more roll out before the timer starts. I would suggest starting at 1500 to 1600 rpms, and be agressive while still slippng it, you'll learn how it feels, and how hard you can push it after a while.

Practice Practice, Practice
Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I've always heard lowering tire pressure on regular street tires hurts traction. They are made to wear evenly at the recommended PSI for every day driving.

Quick Reply: Launching on Streets