5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

i need a quick and easy gears related answer!*solved*

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 04:10 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default i need a quick and easy gears related answer!*solved*

well now that i got my problems solved, and the cars running good, tonight im going to drop off the car to get gears......

now, the guy thats going to do it, owns a "performance shop"
never been to his shop, but i belive him, becase his garadge seriously almost made me drool.

he has his own paint booth, lift, tools galore, etc.

he told me 2 of the foxes are over 400hp, and his baby hes working on right now is 550hp range.

NOW TO THE QUESTION

he did the mid pipe on my car for me for pretty cheap.

but he wants $250 just in labor to put gears in my car......... (AND HE WILL HAVE THE CAR FOR JUST OVER A WEEK)

im wondering if this is an acceptible price, considering its not a "shop" its this guys garadge.

i was thinking $200, but i dont think he will budge on price.

so he told me $125 for the gears (4.10s)
$250 in labor to install them.

he said $100 for other parts, if they need to be replace for the limited slip.
then $60 in labor to install thouse.......................

what do you guys think?!?!?!?

(i just called a mustang restoration shop, and they wanted $695, but thouse guys prices are always nuts)

LET ME KNOW ASAP becase im going to be dropping the car off in a few hours

thanks so much for all the help so far with all my dumb questions!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 04:23 PM
88convertman
1st Gear Member

Default RE: i need a quick and easy gears related answer!

That seams pretty good i payed just about that from a friend of mine.. theres alot of work thats required to put gears in.i also had him install my rims and new tires mounted on the rim as well
Old 03-15-2008, 06:08 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

i only have an hour! then i have to go drop the car off, i need a good answer!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:47 PM
CantStopTheFox...
4th Gear Member

Probably too late.....but that price is not off the wall....

I paid $350ish, but that was with a new axle girdle.......(About $95)

The only thing that I would really question is the week to do the work.....I dropped my car off in the afternoon, it was ready the next day...

But if you are happy with his work, don't worry over $50 - $100....You know it is being done right, and you will be VERY pleased when you drive it out of there.........Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

A week seem long
Old 03-15-2008, 11:56 PM
94Yellow50
4th Gear Member

sounds like the guy knows his stuff...has he ever done them that u could talk to the people n see how it went?...and the week..ya maybe a little long..we woulda had mine done in a weekend but axle ended up being bad so i had to order one n wait for it...so it ended up being just under a week..like 6 days..n i payed 175...for a guy who i work with to do it with me helpin..
Old 03-16-2008, 09:59 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

well droped the car off last night....... lol, does anyone else feel like there leaving there child behind when they drop off there car!?!?!
lol, i was almost wimpering the hole way home.[sm=sigh.gif]

he builds all his own cars, been at it for years, does all the work(he hinted that heports his own heads[sm=insomnia.gif])
hesinstalled gears he said 3 times recently, and had to call up his buddys shop to find out what to charge me, becase he doesent even know what the going rate for the install is!

the reson he said "a little over a week" is because he has a 351W stripcar hes trying to get done, and then a stroker hes trying to get the paint done, and a few other things.

351w car has a bad 1st gear, and a few other things to work out also.

when i talked to him last night, he said it would be on the lift tonight, and pro get it taken appart.
he has to wait till tommarow to get the cluch plates and all that from some shop that hooks him up, and he said it would prob be ready to go ether monday night, or wedsday by the very latest, as long as nothing crazy happens.

so that makesme feel alot better.

now imma have to go buy new tires soon, as these CRAP BF goodrich radials in no way shape or form will hold up to the 4.10s.

thanks for the replys guys!!!

PS to the "guru's" of this site......... if i write up something explaining my transition from 2.73 gears to 4.10s could someone make it a sticky so all the new guys (just like i wish i had a few mths back) could read?

give me some pointers, and subjects to touch on, and ill write something up so that i can help some other ppl out
Old 03-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

now imma have to go buy new tires, as this CRAP BF goodrich radials in no way shape or form will hold up to the 4.10s.
God I know that feeling![:@] My radial T/A's dont stand a chance all the way through 2nd gear.

Considering all things go well, and all parts are on hand, it usualy takes about 4 hours to do gears.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Rajun_Cajun

now imma have to go buy new tires, as this CRAP BF goodrich radials in no way shape or form will hold up to the 4.10s.
God I know that feeling![:@] My radial T/A's dont stand a chance all the way through 2nd gear.
hahaha, yea, i LOVE the look of the BF goodrich radial T/A's on my car, but damn they are worth JACK when it comes to actuly driving on them!!!!

i wanna find a good sticky street tire, but i want that FAT side wall like the radial t/a's have
Old 03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

275/50-15 MT drag radials.

Quick Reply: i need a quick and easy gears related answer!*solved*