5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

wow royal purple!!!!!!!!

Old 03-23-2008, 12:28 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Default RE: wow royal purple!!!!!!!!

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

ORIGINAL: 302army187

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

unfortunately castrol syntc isn't a "true" synthetic.

bold statement for no back up
A true synthetic is exactly that, on oil that is created in a lab and have nothing to do with crude. (ie Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline, Royal Purple) Almost all others that claim themselves a 100% synthetic are typically not that. Their base is started out with crude oil that refined very well, then they add some other stuff and call it synthetic. (like castrol, super tech, valvoline,)

There are 2 variations of Castrol Syntec that are a true synthetic, and those are usually made in Germany or Europe. (Look on the back of the bottle and see where it is made) These are usually not common weights though.

If the stuff is made in the USA then it isn't a true "synthetic"

Also because of the Mobil 1 had a lawsuit against Castrol becasue of what they claim, and it was ruled that Castrol can put anything they want on the labels.

Do some research next time you try to come up with a bold statement of your own...

very good point, i buy the oil because of the price, and ive always used castrol and never had problems.

ive never clamed it was the best stuff ever, just that it was cheap, and works for me
(i beat the hell out of all my vehicles, and havent had a major problem)[8D]
Old 03-23-2008, 12:31 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

I never said it wasn't good. I've been very succsessful with synthetic blends as well as conventional oil. This is also why Castrol Syntec doesn't cost as much as the true synthetics.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
1990lxhatch
2nd Gear Member

There is a difference between crap oil and good oil but you don't have to buy $10/qt full synthetic to get oil good enough for 90% of the stangs on this website.

I buy oil that has an API class of SL or SM between 5W30 and 10W40 weight and is clear enough for me to see the bottom of the container it is in.

I don't buy castrol because it looks like **** after a long night drinking and I change my oil by how it looks and how old it is - not by the mileage. I drive my car 5000 miles a year so I obviously need to change my service regimine.

The color of the oil when new likely means dick but I personally would like to be able to accurately evauluate the cleanliness of my oil by simply looking at it not following some blanket schedule or having it labbed.

Besides an 8hp gain afterchanginga few hundred $ worth of oilis something that
A) You will never notice in the seat
B) Isn't worth the $ unless you need a full service fluid change to begin with

and most importantly...

C) could be COMPLETELY inaccurate because HotRod TV isn't the most controlled scientific environment on the planet. I have seen more than an 8hp increase on a dyno between consecutive runs. Hell, I've seen more after taking a lunch break and although my sandwich made me feel a little better -I doubt it had any effect on the output of the engine
Old 03-23-2008, 02:46 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

I think I will stay with my shell oil. At cost I get it for about 2.50 a litre.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

My car is alway's faster after i wash it.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:31 PM
90_Mustang_GT
2nd Gear Member

True that........and good find on the RP man, thats the only old i use, both stangs and my f-150....stuff is great. but i used to run quaker state full synthetic, also good stuff. but the facts are there about royal purple, if youve got the money buy the best.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:20 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Who gives a rats ace what oil is better??~!!!! at the rate I trash out a motor... good oil or not I still send the motor south!![:@]
Old 03-23-2008, 06:59 PM
86GT 93LX
5th Gear Member

no thats their reg price:P i get the super tech fullsynth from them. it just stays cleaner longer.its supposedly made for them by mobile 1 so for 13 bucks its a good deal!
to the original poster, u just needed a oil change u wont notice a differance on a engine running reg clean oil. dump the royal and put in some cheap stuff u wont notcie a differance1 i swear! like mjr46 said 8hp, u cant feel 8 hp
ORIGINAL: 302army187

i dig castrol syntec!

the walmart by me must have messed up the price, becase a 5qt jug is only $19
(do the math, at $5.80 a qt, 5 qts is $29)

so i bought a few, and in about a mth ill put it in this car.

ive use it before in my old truck, and never gave me an issue, and for the price, for full sythetic oil.......... you cant beat it
Old 03-23-2008, 07:19 PM
OneFine89Mustang
4th Gear Member

8 hp on running better oil seems far fetched
Old 03-23-2008, 07:53 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 86GT 93LX

i get the super tech fullsynth from them... its supposedly made for them by mobil 1

I'm pretty sure it is not made by them. Most Super Tech oils are made by Warren. And their filters are made by Champion Labs.
There is also a chance they low ball on who makes what for them, so it can change depending on who bids what.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wow royal purple!!!!!!!!