5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My Buddy thinks his car will beat mine.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:01 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: My Buddy thinks his car will beat mine.

360 hp ehh???[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]more like 270 and if you stay off the NOS IT'LL BE MORE OF A CLOSER race which IMO is a lopsided victory for you..he can't think that with the NOS he'll hang with you...I have a friend with a 68 cougar also who runs 13.00's with a best of 12.94 @ 104-105 ish...and it put down 268 rwhp with a mild h/c/i
Old 03-23-2008, 09:07 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

His cougar is gonna weigh about the same as my Mustang, and given his ET and trap speed he's running something like a mild-moderate h/c/i 302 on street tires. Engine vs engine you should take him, weights aren't too far off, you both have decent power, but you have slicks so with a good launch and similar driving expect to be ahead by like .5 in the ET give or take. With the shot you should obliterate him.
Actually, he has a carbed 351 with some weird "Aussie" alum. heads, pretty "lumpy" cam (don't know the specs.), C4 tranny, 3000 stall converter, 3.00 rear gears, leaf springs with traction bars and running street tires. He said he's going to put some 3.50 gears in and get some drag radials on before we race, so thatshould put him into the mid 12's. He might have me motorvs. motor... but when I'm on the juice... c 'ya!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:17 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mjr46

360 hp ehh???[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=icon_rofl.gif]more like 270 and if you stay off the NOS IT'LL BE MORE OF A CLOSER race which IMO is a lopsided victory for you..he can't think that with the NOS he'll hang with you...I have a friend with a 68 cougar also who runs 13.00's with a best of 12.94 @ 104-105 ish...and it put down 268 rwhp with a mild h/c/i
Yeah, I know I'm not getting 360hp from the TF kit (I've done my homework)... I'm expecting about 270 at the wheels and about another 100 or so at the wheels with the 150 shot. That should put me somewhere around 370 or a little more at the rear wheels. And with the 3.73 gears, suspension work and slicks, I'll have no excuse for a bad 60'. Both of us have been racing at our local track since we were 18 and now we're 42, so we know how to drive 'em hard. No matter who wins... it should be an interesting race and loads of fun.

Oh, and here are some pics of his car...

Old 03-23-2008, 09:22 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

on the bottle ...your gonna crack his ace!!!!and I'm suprised that's all the faster his 351 is....??? man he better aquire a secret weapon.....I know I'd hide a lil' sneaky pete under the seat if I were him
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri debris

ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

His cougar is gonna weigh about the same as my Mustang, and given his ET and trap speed he's running something like a mild-moderate h/c/i 302 on street tires. Engine vs engine you should take him, weights aren't too far off, you both have decent power, but you have slicks so with a good launch and similar driving expect to be ahead by like .5 in the ET give or take. With the shot you should obliterate him.
Actually, he has a carbed 351 with some weird "Aussie" alum. heads, pretty "lumpy" cam (don't know the specs.), C4 tranny, 3000 stall converter, 3.00 rear gears, leaf springs with traction bars and running street tires. He said he's going to put some 3.50 gears in and get some drag radials on before we race, so thatshould put him into the mid 12's. He might have me motorvs. motor... but when I'm on the juice... c 'ya!
So he basically has a similar setup as me, leaf spring + trac bars, 3.00 gear, the chassis are basically the same car but with different bodies, street tires. Only he has a carb 351 and I have a carb 302.....proving once again that Clevelands aren't all that they're cracked up to be.(assuming it's a Cleve setup since he has Aussie heads). And the time in my sig was launching like a fairy, shifting a bit early, and running a tune that was pretty lean with limited timing. Do you know when he got his heads? Are they old iron castings or what?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

is he running some of these http://ausfordparts.com/afd4v.html or is he running cast iron stock aussie heads? the stock aussie head will be good for at least 450-500hp the aftermarket even more. maybe hes extremely traction limited and that why he only runs 13's
Old 03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

Pretty sure it's a windsor 351 bored .060 over with "hyper-pathetic" pistons and the "Aussie" heads are aluminum ported and polished by him. The intake is a Professional Products single plane Edelbrock knock off. And yes he is traction limited on the street, but not so much at the track. He's never had it dyno-ed, but he has "desktop dyno" software that tells him the motor he built is making about 425 hp.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

forged piston dont make more power you know they are just stronger those hypers are probably a lot lighter
Old 03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Rajun_Cajun
3rd Gear Member

You ahould actualy make slightly more hp with a hyper piston if you ar n/a due to them being lighter. Forged just take a beating bc they are stronger.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rmodel65

forged piston dont make more power you know they are just stronger those hypers are probably a lot lighter
I don't think they're lighter than forged aluminum, but the reason I pointed out that he has them is because he can forget installing a "sneaky pete" nitrous system like mjr46 suggested.

Quick Reply: My Buddy thinks his car will beat mine.