5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Edelbrock vs Holley???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:54 AM
rnmdad

Default Edelbrock vs Holley???

I've aquired a 1979 with a 5.0, I'll admit it, it's my first Mustang. The previous owner built the motor, and did a pretty good job. My question here, it has a Weber (Edelbrock), and I had good luck with the same carb on my mud truck (Dodge). Before I try to go through tuning this beast, which was not done very well by said previous owner, what are your opinions on the swapping over to a Holley, I've been told they work better on the street...
Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Default RE: Edelbrock vs Holley???

ORIGINAL: rnmdad

I've aquired a 1979 with a 5.0, I'll admit it, it's my first Mustang. The previous owner built the motor, and did a pretty good job. My question here, it has a Weber (Edelbrock), and I had good luck with the same carb on my mud truck (Dodge). Before I try to go through tuning this beast, which was not done very well by said previous owner, what are your opinions on the swapping over to a Holley, I've been told they work better on the street...
Weber?? you mean Carter afb...cause that's the platform the eddlebrock is based on....anyway..stick with the edelbrock they are quick and easy to tune just buy a calibration kit for the model you have which will come with all the metering rods, step up springs and a few jets you may need
Old 03-26-2008, 07:19 AM
boss_5pt0
1st Gear Member

If you want something you can take out of the box and not worry about adjusting, Holley has the Street Avenger line. They are supposed to be able to take it out of the box and never adjusted. However, you can't go wrong with an Edelbrock. They're both made by the same parent company anyways.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 PM
rnmdad

ORIGINAL: mjr46

ORIGINAL: rnmdad

Weber?? you mean Carter afb...cause that's the platform the eddlebrock is based on....anyway..stick with the edelbrock they are quick and easy to tune just buy a calibration kit for the model you have which will come with all the metering rods, step up springs and a few jets you may need
Not Carter, Weber is stamped on the side. As far as the tuning, I'm not sure what the builder did with rods, jets, springs, so I would have to go back to the original settings and go from there. There is a partial tuning kit that came with the car, but I'm not sure what's actually there.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:18 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

The Edelbrock is the old Carter design, made by Weber now(that's why they have Weber stamped on them). I prefer Holleys.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

I like holley. The only advantage i see edelbrock having is the clear sites for the fuel bowls, but as far as performance i've had better luck with holley.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I've never been able to get an Edelbrock to have good throttle response. The Carter setup for secondary control is poor imo.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:58 PM
JalapenoNotch0
1st Gear Member

I have a Holley on my Mustang.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
jtmustang
5th Gear Member

i would not even think about it

holley!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!![8D]
Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM