5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

damn my car is ****ty in the rain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 AM
QatarStang
4th Gear Member

Default RE: damn my car is ****ty in the rain...

old crappy tires and a RWD V8 arent the best thing for rain driving.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM
302army187
6th Gear Member

+1 my tires have low tread directly related to the heavy right foot, and love of clouds of smoke!

micky tompson street tires are prob going on right before nxt winter, depending on how these hold up this summer

btw, before winter is totally gone, go buy 2-4 sandbag's to put in the back of your car, that will help alot also
Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Tire rack has tires with a special compound that resist sliding etc when wet or dry, like oil resistant soles.

They were specifically made for your sport's car. These tires have sick grip, wet or not.[8D]

ContiExtremeContactâ„¢
[ul][*]The best performing Ultra High Performance tire in all-weather conditions[*]Excellent wet grip and resistance to hydroplaning[*]Silica-based, high-grip tread compound[*]Smooth ride, even at high speeds [/ul]This new ultra-high performance all-season tire provides the optimum angle of attack resulting from Shark Fin bio-mechanics.UTQG-Rating:TreadTractionTemperatureW Rated400AAAV Rated400AA
Feature Focus: Shark Fin Bio-Mechanics
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
Maxwelhse
4th Gear Member

Though they don't make them anymore, I had a set of Goodyear Aquatred 3's on my old '89 S-10, on Camaro wheels (wide tires, especially for that truck). They were AMAZING. That light little truck used to pull and hydroplane like nuts with "normal" tires.

If you do a lot of rain driving, I'd look for whatever the comparable tire is now.

Or, as many people have said over and over again, get a beater and leave the 'stang home.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:34 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

A great all weather tire with pleny of grip in rain or sunshine are the fuzions zri's. They are awesome in the rain and when it's warm they stick fairly good to.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:53 PM
PFCAiello
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jfsram

You need to define "**** in the rain".

Hydroplaning is directly related to lack of tread depth or in the case of a performance tire, tread design.

You claim to have 185 tires and are hydroplaning. They are worn.

Another problem is aged tires. They can even be skinny rain tires but when they get old, like 7-10 years old, the compound dries out and they have no adhesion in wet.
yeah the tread's right below lincoln's eye. ok i turned at a stopsign, and about halfway i hit it like mabye 1/2throttle, and i almost spun out, had to fight to keep it under control, fishtailing bad. and stoping was much worse. its never acted like that before.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:09 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

im tellin you, try to get some weight in the back end, that will help out a ton.

i keep 2 by my car in the parking lot, when there not in the car, i put them where the tires hit on the curb, that way my bumber isent in teh bushs, but when it rains, i just pull the car up a little, and drop them in the trunk.

works out great for me, but if its to bad, AT ALL, or more then 1-2in of snow, theres no way i drive the 'stang
Old 03-29-2008, 01:11 PM
PFCAiello
1st Gear Member

what like 20lbs. bags?
Old 03-29-2008, 01:18 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

no, 60lb bags, there used for pickup trucks.

i got mine at lowes for like $2.90 each

i bought about 10, becase my pickup slides around like crazy, so i have 4 in at ALL times, 6 during snow, and 8 in the heavy snow.

the stang gets 2 to keep it from putting the bumper in the bushs when i park it, and it gets them in the trunk if it looks like its going to be bad.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:27 PM
PFCAiello
1st Gear Member

oh ok....or ill get my girlfriend to lie in the trunk when it rains.

Quick Reply: damn my car is ****ty in the rain...