5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Best product to clean engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:05 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Default Best product to clean engine

What is the best stuff to clean engine? Parts like the vic jr intake and surface rust on arp bolts. My intake bolts have light surface rust as well as many other bolts on my engine and the bolts that mount everything to the piece of plexi-glass. And best stuff clean carb up to make new again? I know there are alot of members with clean engine bays, mine looks descent always but if you look close you will see minor infractions. Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Keith
Old 03-31-2008, 08:12 PM
maiello2169
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Best product to clean engine

extra fine steel wool always does the trick.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:33 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

I spray mine with a diluted form of simple green and use a steam cleaner set on low pressure to knock of light grease and debris that has settled on motor......as a heavy blast usually knocks paint off and the bolts..hate to tell you I have often spent hours removing some one by one and retorque it once I finish buffing it on a high speed stationary buffer
Old 03-31-2008, 09:04 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

You could try a rag and some wd40 on the rusted bolts...it should clean them up if it just light rust and it will keep them from rusting if you keep it on there.

As far as cleaning the dirt off, I use some stuff called Awesome, it is a buck at the dollar store and I swear by it. Dilute it down, spray it on, scub where you have too, then hose it off.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:22 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Well for whatever chemical/cleaner you decide to use... if you want to leave them on their the best thing i have found around the house for scrubbing small stuff, and bolts and such is an old toothbrush.

Works wonders... and it gets into tiny places.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

gotta love mean green
Old 04-01-2008, 12:38 AM
kilgorq
2nd Gear Member

I use Purple Power for most everythng and it works good. I Buy it at walmart for less than 5.00 a gallon. The only time I cant get it to clean is if the grease is baked on. All of the aluminum on this motor was cleaned with it. It doesn't work for rust but it is excellent for grease. If you get stubborn grease spot. Use Carb cleaner then Purple Power.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:12 AM
ponyboy302
3rd Gear Member

while on the subject of engine cleaning .. is it ok to hose the engine down as long as you let it dry before starting it ?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:22 AM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the idea's guy's. mjr i was afraid to get your answer about the surface rust on the bolts because that is what i figured had to be done. But since i'm stubborn i will try to clean them without taking them off and probably later wish i had just done it right the first time lol.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:34 AM
hemi_04d
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ponyboy302

while on the subject of engine cleaning .. is it ok to hose the engine down as long as you let it dry before starting it ?
I would still make sure you cover the distributor with something before hoseing it down, just to make sure you don't get water up in there. I haven't done the Mustang yet, but on all the other cars I owned I used a plastic grocery bag...

Quick Reply: Best product to clean engine