5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

so who else has been through this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 12:38 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

Default so who else has been through this?

so a couple of months back i made a thread asking what people have had to replace mechanically on their mustangs, and how mine still had a lot of the same original parts. in the last 5 weeks i have been having a lot of trouble with my 93 lx. in 5 weeks i have replaced 2 alternators, serpentine belt, plugs, cap, and rotor, struts, and shocks, and a mass airflow sensor. after replacing the maf sensor on friday i went 200 miles or so before the car started to run really hot. mostly at speeds 70 and over. i troubleshot it to be my thermostat not closing. so now i need to replace that, and i need new tires all around which i was gonna buy this week. all of those parts were original besides the second alternator that prematurely locked up after not even 2000 miles. this car has 130k, and i use it as a daily driver. i was driving this car from jersey to california, and back just over christmas time.

i am in the process of rebuilding the motor on my 03 mach 1. i am gonna have to start using my 2000 7.3 f350 for my daily driver now. i have been commuting 76 miles one way for work every day. oh, and i forgot to mention. my clutch just started acting up as well, but i replaced that at 48k miles. thats my own fault with the way i drive the thing though. i had my buddy say 'the motor isn't the original, but the rest of the car does have 130k miles on it'. he was right. i was also freaked out after seeing a broken down fox on the side of the turnpike. it appeared to be a red 93 lx with a red flag hanging out of it. every time i see a broken down fox i always gulp, and feel bad that that could be mine.

none of the recent problems left me on the side of the road, but still it's frustrating that everything seems to be going at once. i went the last 30k miles straight before these problems started on this car without doing anything other than oil, and filter changes, greasing, and a radiator/coolant flush. in the 100k+ miles and 8 years almost i have had this car i haven't had this many things go in this short of time. anyone else been through this?
Old 04-06-2008, 01:36 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

Default RE: so who else has been through this?

too much to read can you summerize it for me
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
WhiteWindsor
5th Gear Member

When it rains it pours!
Old 04-06-2008, 02:00 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

i've made way longer posts than that. anyway 93 lx hatchback 130k miles. in the last 5 weeks i have replaced 2 alternators, serpentine belt, struts, and shocks, plugs, cap, and rotor, mass air sensor. thermostat is now defective. first alternator, struts, and shocks, mf sensor, and thermostat are all original parts. i'm frustrated cause this is supposed to be my daily driver, and now i'm putting money into it every week.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:10 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

like i tell my girlfriend everytime i put money into my car "its a older car, that gets beat on non-stop, im going to have to do this the hole time i own it
Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM
getafewlives
4th Gear Member

Hmm, you have to assume some stuff on a 15 year old car. But mine hasn't been too bad for me. I did a full tuneup when I got the car, then replaced the original clutch at 185k KMS, and did the rear brakes. And thats about it... The suspension is getting stiff, so that might need some work soon. But she's never broken down on me or left me stranded.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:26 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

if your t-stat were not closing it would not overheat..quite the opposite......if it overheats on the highway make sure air flow wacross radiator is sufficient meaning fins are not clogged up with dirt and debris and the rad cap is good...cause a t-stat no closing would make it run cooler
Old 04-06-2008, 06:48 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

yeah i know i said it backwards. i said a lot of dumb things in there haha. i just woke up when i wrote all that. every single other thermostat i ever had that went on me made the car overcool. this one has caused the car to overheat. thats the second time this thing has almost overheated in a little more than 2 weeks. first time i had a bad hub in the alternator, and it locked up. none of my accessories were going, so the water pump wasn't operating. anyway i should go with a 190 degree one ya think? where do you reccomend i order from? ima order it tonight.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:52 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

i picked up a 195 from my local shop.

my car (as im sure all 5.0s are) is very cold blooded, and takes forever to get warm.
the 195 is nice, but im worryed about the summer traffic....... but summers here arnt that bad, so im prob just being paranoid
Old 04-06-2008, 06:55 PM
ponyponer
2nd Gear Member

this car has seen some bad stand still traffic before.