5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

awsome..... ugh

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:47 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

Default awsome..... ugh

ok so today there was this car meet at colt state park in Rhode Island. me and a couple of my buddies were gonna head out there with our cars. we were to meet up at a wendys with a bunch of other kids and do the whole cruise thing there. so last night i didn an oil change so shed be ready for the trip. ive always done my own oil changes. drained it all added 4 quarts of valvoline high mileage 10w40 and the lucas oil treatment bottle (ive added this before and seemed to work out well). once it was all in i ran the engine for about 30sec to a min and then checked the oil level and it was right on the money. then i drove back to school which was 12 miles from my house. my oil pressure (using the stock gage) was better than it was before the oil change so i was all happy. cuz my oil pressure always seemed to drop a little when it got hot but the past few days it was a little lower than usual so thats what sparked the oil change plus it was time anyway. when i got to school everything was gravy.

i went out to my car this morning started her up and left to go to the wendys. so im almost there and and my oil gage just drops off and goes below the zero....[:@] so i get it into the stop and shop parking lot which was right next to the wendys and killed it. i check my oil level and it had what looked like 1.5 quarts over.. but my motor didnt make any ticking noises or anything at the time and it sounded completely fine. i decided to just leave it there and i hoped in my buddies 07 cobalt ss thats all done up. soon to have a turbo instead of the s/c (the build starts next week). anyways we go to the meet which was awsome btw.. besides the cold and wind..

when i get back i started it just to see if anyhting has changed and was rattlein like a **** so i immediatly shut it off. i got AAA to tow it back to my house for $25, 11miles.

im thinking that the oil pump **** the bed.... [:@]

im not entirely sure how to change the oil pump. doesnt the engine need to be lifted up to take the oil pan off? also do you guys think it is worth just replacing the oil pump? or should i just get a new motor? cuz my oil pressure has been all F'd up ever since my HG blew starts around 60 and drops to like 35 ish hot idle (gestimating usin the stock gage). i think the bearings need to be replaced.

there is a guy on CL that has a newly rebuilt 302 out of a 79 capri. he said he will sell me just the short block for $500. but it is a complete motor but for carb. http://providence.craigslist.org/pts/632760165.html he was tryin to tell me that the heads wouldnt work w/ the efi or some bs. idk im not sure on what heads they are exactly but i do believe they are stock. would it just be the valve covers that wouldnt fit?

let me kno what you guys think i should do. im prob gonna go check out that motor tomorrow. and sry for the long post...
Old 04-06-2008, 09:51 PM
89Ford
4th Gear Member

Default RE: awsome..... ugh

no look for 85 or newer
Old 04-06-2008, 09:52 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

35 at hot idle isn't bad but you say your guessing....first thing to do is perform a mech test
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I really don't think you will have much of a problem with your motor. When I first started my motor it didn't have the driveshaft for the oil pump that attatchs to the dizzy. Now it runs just fine. But 302's are a dime a dozen. The heads off that other motor will work but you will have lower compression do to larger chamber sizes. And that motor would be a non roller if it is out of a 79 originally. Wait for a deal or rebuild your motor. Find yourself a roller block that way you won't have any problems for a direct replacment if that is what you want to do. The oil pump is usually done with the motor out of the car. Some say you can remove the oil pan with the motor in the car but I don't think it is possible because the bellhousing will hit your firewall before you get it up high enough to clear the K member and oil pump pickup.

BUT now is the perfect time to drop in a stroker or a 351......or a stroked 351!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:56 PM
nacanitihs
5th Gear Member

to be honest i dont want to start it up again i can just hear the valve train rattelin like a ****. i do have an autometer oil pressure gage mounted in the car i just havent hooked it up yet cuz i dont have the fittings for the engine. all i have is the copper tube and the one female fitting thats on the tube. anyone kno what fittings and what size i need?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:25 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

factory guages suck
Old 04-06-2008, 11:21 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stang8689

factory guages suck
couldnt have said it better

I dont know if draining the motor and cutting the filter open to look for a gold mine would help in any way, but I wish you the best of luck and hope its not too much of a costly repair
Old 04-07-2008, 12:49 AM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

well if the stock guage shows 0 and there is rattling going on, I'd be willing to bet there is no oil pressure (reguardless of the accuacy of stock guage).

valvoline = [:@]

oil additives = [:@]

hopefully all that is wrong is the the pump, but to get to it, you would have to lift the motor some.

I do agree though, that if you do end up needing an other engine, try to get the newest possible.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:55 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

easiest way to tell iff the oil pump is working is....

remove the oil filter, remove the distributor, crank oil pump driveshaft, look to see if oil comes out.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Didn't you buy and exploder motor? Good time to hurry that build up

Quick Reply: awsome..... ugh