5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??

Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

Default What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??

I'm just moving this conversation over here from the new member forum at someone else's suggestion. In August 2006 I bought a 1994 SN95 Cobra from a friend who lives in California. My new wife and I went on our honeymoon to CA, bought the car and drove it the 4000 miles home to MN... it was a blast. The car was being built up by a local performance shop and all the mods it has on it now were already there when I bought the car... I haven't done anything but change the oil and stuff since I bought it.

About 14 months ago, I had my car dynoed during our local auto-x club's dyno day. It came back at 170HP, but with massive torque (I can't recall the number at the moment, but I do recall it being extraordinarily high). The car's a 1994 Cobra with a Saleen S351 treatment and the RS biplane spoiler. The engine mods it has on it at this point are:

Flowmaster 3-chamber catback
MSD Blaster 3-coil
MSD 6AL ignition
Edelbrock 70MM throttle body
Ford Motorsports horsepower pulleys
K&N (underhood, no CAI box)
Hypertech chip

As far as I know the cats are still there (it was a CA car, so emission systems were unaltered).

I cannot find anything about the chip other than the fact that it's supposed to be self-programming and promises HP boosts. What it actually provides I have no clue and have been told to pull it out of the car entirely by other modders... can anyone give me any real info?

As for my HP issues, I'm thinking of working on things in this order:

1) Add an off-road h-pipe like this one: http://www.brenspeed.com/mustang_50/images/econh.gif or a system like the one from Pypes
2) Move the K&N into a CAI location with smooth tubing instead of the crinkled plastic tubing
3) Verify the function of the Hypertech and do what's necessary to either get it working or get it out of the car
4) Possibly replace the MAS (which afaik is still stock) with a larger one... but only if I can figure out the chip issue.

Beyond this stuff, I really don't know what to do or why it's only putting out 170HP when it should have AT LEAST been 200... probably even more like 270 since it's got some mods that should boost HP. I just don't know what to do for sure.

Any advice? Thanks in advance...

PS - Here's the car:

Old 04-10-2008, 04:25 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??

What is the deal with that hypertech chip u have? From the mods you have the car doesn't really need a chip, it certainly can't be helping. Stock they run around 220whp, so you should be slightly above that at the very least, with a good tune stock Cobra engines have run around 270whp.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:29 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

do a FULL tune up
Old 04-10-2008, 04:41 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

Sorry, I should have been far more clear: I didn't mod the car myself... I bought it from a friend in California as it is now. The mods all came with it.

I added to the first post so that was more clear... sorry.

My friend bought it from a builder who had been building Mustangs for drag cars but was changing over to Datsun Z cars at the time. I think he was just shy of the supercharger when he bailed on the project. The engine is chipped, the dash has dual boost gauges and everything's ready for the supercharger... I waThere are other mods I want to do like suspension bushings and control arms, but first I want to fix the current engine issues first. Keep in mind that I'm fairly new to the whole performance mod thing...
Old 04-10-2008, 04:50 PM
stang8689
6th Gear Member

sure its a real Cobra
Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

could be alot of things, what kind of dyno was it? Mustang dynos read lower numbers, are you sure its a realy cobra not just a gt?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:53 PM
drhoward
Penis Mod Erator

ORIGINAL: stang8689

sure its a real Cobra
hahaah beat me too it

Ya a gt with those mods on a mustang dyno would probably put down around 170 rwhp
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM
Hollister Hoodlum
4th Gear Member

Im with STANG8689, are you 100% sure its an Actual cobra?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 PM
MarkNieb
1st Gear Member

Cobra's of that year were turds. Mine was nothing but problems, glad I moved to something else.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:17 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

I've confirmed that it's a real Cobra... the VIN is correct for a Cobra from that year.

The tuner's "making of" pages are here: http://corfield.org/mustang/1up.html

Aside from that, unless they put a Cobra intake on a GT just for fun, it's got the Cobra 5.0 intake manifold... and I doubt that it actually means anything, but the SVT and Cobra badges are all there too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??