5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:44 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??

ORIGINAL: 86 5.0L

Theres a chance you have a GT

Vehicle Line, Series, Body Type (for Passenger Car)
P40 - Two-door coupe
P42 - Two-door coupe, GT

can the peeps with 94 cobras chim in?
The cheatsheet I'm looking at say that a P42 is just a 1993-1995 coupe, not a GT coupe:

42 = 1993 - 95 Coupe
45 = 1994 - 95 Convertible
46 = 1996 - 2001 Convertible
47 = 1996 - 2001 Coupe
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a real Cobra, only thing left is to install a new spoiler
Old 04-10-2008, 10:07 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

HEY! Don't pick on that spoiler... it held the back of the car down while I was doing 120 MPH downhill in switchbacks coming out of the Cascades between CA and OR... all the aerodynamics are active: brake vents, hood vent. You should have seen what the hood and roof looked like after driving thru the high plains in the rain. Cool-as-hell muddy streaks up the hood and over the roof almost like a wind tunnel. It rides like a freakin hay wagon until you hit about 95-110MPH (depends on headwind hehe). Then the wheels buck up under the car instead of the car bucking up and over the bumps.

That spoiler rawks... and it doubles as an awesome picnic table on track days.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Many are more knowledgeable than I, but I'd have a look at the heads to confirm they are not E7s swapped on by some unscrupulous butcher. Then I'd take out that chip and adjust the base timing to 12* or so. Just my suggestions.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ok heres another senerio, idiots blew the cobra engine, stuck in a GT engine and swapped the intake over
Old 04-10-2008, 10:56 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

Well the guys who built this car up in CA were reputable and known to the individual from whom I purchased the car (who's a close personal friend)... that is, I really doubt this car is a fake. I'll grant you that it's suffering from some sort of malady and the HP is really low, but I'm gonna wait till I've pulled the chip and check the fuel pressure before I jump to the conclusion that I've somehow been ripped off.

I'm expecting to find the fuel pressure to be really low... I really am. It makes all sorts of sense.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

So I'm gonna repeat the question I've been asking:

If I pull the Hypertech chip, will the ECM automatically revert to using the onboard mixture tables and so on?
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ArmchairDeity

HEY! Don't pick on that spoiler... it held the back of the car down while I was doing 120 MPH downhill in switchbacks coming out of the Cascades between CA and OR... all the aerodynamics are active: brake vents, hood vent. You should have seen what the hood and roof looked like after driving thru the high plains in the rain. Cool-as-hell muddy streaks up the hood and over the roof almost like a wind tunnel. It rides like a freakin hay wagon until you hit about 95-110MPH (depends on headwind hehe). Then the wheels buck up under the car instead of the car bucking up and over the bumps.

That spoiler rawks... and it doubles as an awesome picnic table on track days.
I hope you're joking [&:] The double stack wing does not look good and most will agree. It looks okay on track cars when they're on a track, thats it. I've done 120 in my car and it was plenty stable as is... All I'm saying is if your car had different wheels and the Saleen S281 spoiler it would be a much better looking car.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:01 AM
MarkNieb
1st Gear Member

The only reason I flushed it with water was because someone recommended it to me on this board....Either way, it ran like crap even before that. Thing had no *****. The GTP would have raped that thing.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 AM
ArmchairDeity
1st Gear Member

I'm confused... if you drive a Pontiac why aren't you on a Pontiac board? Or a Grand Deathtrap-Prix board?

It's a free country, so I'm not making any judgements here... but since people here don't take you seriously and you think Mustangs run like crap and you drive a car from a competing manufacturer, why are you hanging out here? Especially when you can only offer unhelpful comments to people looking for _helpful_ information.

I'm just sayin...

PS - I hate Grand Prix. Who the HELL attaches safety restraint devices to the doors? And mostly they sound like a broken lawnmower, regardless of what exhaust system people try to use to mask their true nature. It's like crapping your pants and then putting perfume on to cover the smell. My opinion... nothing more.

ORIGINAL: MarkNieb

The only reason I flushed it with water was because someone recommended it to me on this board....Either way, it ran like crap even before that. Thing had no *****. The GTP would have raped that thing.

Quick Reply: What's up with 170HP dyno readings on a 94 SN95 Cobra??