5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Dumps Vs. Tailpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Dumps Vs. Tailpipes?

Do you do most of your own work? Who do you use for dynos?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 04-14-2008, 03:19 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I personcally can't see open mandrel bent piping making any difference in HP or torque, the backpressure would come from the muffler and midpipe but once it's out of the muffler I don't think it makes a hell of beans. The sound is dramitically different and thus I think people mentally feel a difference but there's not a power difference anyone would feel.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
FivePointOhh
in limbo

ORIGINAL: OnyxCobra

I personcally can't see open mandrel bent piping making any difference in HP or torque, the backpressure would come from the muffler and midpipe but once it's out of the muffler I don't think it makes a hell of beans. The sound is dramitically different and thus I think people mentally feel a difference but there's not a power difference anyone would feel.
i would deff side with this opinion. kinda like in my last post.

ORIGINAL:Fivepointohh
i say taking off 2 feet of exhaust and switching to dumps would be fairly insignificant and would be for sound
Old 04-14-2008, 03:32 PM
dukeme
3rd Gear Member

Well, the good news is that they are easy to put on and take off....I just ordered a pair from summit.....I will keep you posted. Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 10:31 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FivePointOhh

dont quote me on this because i dont know if im recalling this correctly but i think how it works is mostly on stock motors the tailpipes may yield slightly better performance due to the slight bit of backpressure due to the length of the pipes. since we're not producing large amounts of HP we dont require huge pipes. (aka when newbs always ask about 3" exhaust and we tell them their dumb) where as the more HP you are pushing the larger you requrie the exhaust to be. well in that case short exhaust would help release a little backpressure or you could increase the size of exhaust to allow more free flowing. again when you see the pro dragsters only runing 2 feet of exhaust with 2" exhaust ports right off the heads. becuase they are making huge numbers they need that free flow.

again dont quote me but i think that theory is sound but please correct me if im wrong.

Yuppers!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:39 PM
USMC1775
4th Gear Member

Beat me to it.. once its past the cats(or lack-there-of) and mufflers, I dont think its making a major impact on the system. Pipes look good in most cases, but dumps sound better I think. I have yet to finish my side exhaust, but when I do I will have the best of both worlds
Old 04-14-2008, 10:49 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: dukeme

The question of the day is weather or not dumps or tailpipes makes a difference in HP?
[align=left][/align]
for me ..IMO it's more so the look..which far exceeds any performance gain..tailpipes ftw!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
cleanfitty
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: USMC1775

once its past the cats(or lack-there-of) and mufflers, I dont think its making a major impact on the system.

The reason for the louder sound is because of the lack of pressure without pipes. The longer the pipes, the quieter it will be.

There is some impact becausethe inside of the tailpipes cause surface friction. (reguardless if they are mandrell or factory type bends) This is needed for a good balance on a stock motor. (Never run wrinkle bends [:@])

A good expirement would be to take 2 garden hoses (a 10ft and a 25ft with the same diamater) with full water pressure. The longer of the 2 will put out less water, but will be a smoother flow.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:18 AM
83gtragtop
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cleanfitty

ORIGINAL: USMC1775

once its past the cats(or lack-there-of) and mufflers, I dont think its making a major impact on the system.

The reason for the louder sound is because of the lack of pressure without pipes. The longer the pipes, the quieter it will be.

There is some impact becausethe inside of the tailpipes cause surface friction. (reguardless if they are mandrell or factory type bends) This is needed for a good balance on a stock motor. (Never run wrinkle bends [:@])

A good expirement would be to take 2 garden hoses (a 10ft and a 25ft with the same diamater) with full water pressure. The longer of the 2 will put out less water, but will be a smoother flow.

I'm pretty sure that they would flow the same.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
jjw88mustang
2nd Gear Member

the shorter one would def shoot farther.........friction

Quick Reply: Dumps Vs. Tailpipes?